QU-16 firmware update and thumb drive recording

• Members

Just a heads up to those with the mixer that firmware 1.5 was just released. (changes below).

Also, A&H have approved a few USB thumb drives for multi-tracking use. I bought a Sandisk Extreme 64GB (~$65) and it works well. It's really nice not having to drag along an external HD hook it up, and try and wedge it somewhere in the rack so it won't fall out. At the end of the night I can just put it in my pocket. It also boots and reads files faster on the Qu than the HDD did as well as transfers files to my computer more quickly.

Features added in 1.5"

Addition of 4 DCA Groups

 Channel naming and name sync to iPads and ME-1

 Flexible output patch on dSNAKE AudioRacks and Monitor sends to ME-1

 USB recording source can be now be set to Insert Send or Direct Out

 MMC (Midi Machine Control) added to the MIDI screen and SoftKeys functions

 DAW Bank control added to SoftKeys (for use with DAW Control driver)

 Support for Qu-32

 Support for AB168 portable rugged AudioRack

Improvements:

Auto mute on Phantom Power change

 General improvements to Qu-Drive recording and transport control

 Mixes can now be assigned to Mute Groups

 Increased support for Cubase broadcast WAV files

Issues fixed:

ID_1360: Audio level could jump when sending to a post fade mix at very low levels.

ID_1152: Alt Out level could drop momentarily on scene recall.

ID_1478: Phantom Power would not initialise on some channels after reboot.

ID_1476: FX wet/dry control would sometimes not update correctly.

ID_1444: Mix9-10 could not be patched to an FX send on Qu-24.

ID_1485, ID_304, ID_308: Fixes on 2Tap FX control and metering behaviou

• Members

My guess is they didn't have enough room to make 10 separate auxes so this saved some space. It's probably also a cost saver. So you have to flip your thinking that it's primarily a 6 aux boards (like the vast majority out there). Being able to go stereo with 3 of those is a bonus that a lot of mixers can't do in this range. Remember this is a $1500 board, a darn good price in my opinion for a mixer with motorized faders AND the A&H name on it.

• Members

The issue is lack of faders. It's 2 for 1 on the stereo mixes so the math works out that they can put everything on 2 layers. I'm thankful for that as I trip myself up as it is with only 2 to layers.

• Members
The issue is lack of faders. It's 2 for 1 on the stereo mixes so the math works out that they can put everything on 2 layers. I'm thankful for that as I trip myself up as it is with only 2 to layers.

It seems like it should be possible in firmware to make a single fader control a single stereo output pair.

Perhaps there are some physical limitations in the design.

Archived