Possible upgrade from Alto TS112a's £800 per pair?

• Members

Hi, I'm wondering if there is anything available on the market that will be an upgrade to my Alto TS112a's for £800 a pair? Here's the catch; I would like something smaller, lighter with a couple of inputs and be as full range? I've tried the EV ZLX12p's and really didn't like these, I've tried the RCF 710's which sounded great apart from quite a lot of port noise on deep bass sounds and I've tried the Alesis Alpha which again sounded nice but have very loud amp hiss! Is there anything available I have missed that meets my criteria?

• Members

What are you trying to upgrade; sound, features or both?

If you've been auditioning speakers that are ostensibly better than yours, and haven't liked what you've heard, then maybe you want to upgrade further than your budget allows - at least at new prices.

Have you tried the Yamaha DSR or DXR series? They might be worth a shot.

• Members

Yes I own a pair of Yamaha dxr15's and really like them. However, they're not lighter than the Alto's. I would like to upgrade the sound and reduce the weight as I'll be using these speakers on an extremely regular basis for rehearsals, workshops, as a keyboard amp and for small acoustic gigs.

• Members

Yes I'm a big fan of the Yamaha DXR's but wouldn't want to use one regularly as a keyboard amp/wedge monitor due to the finish on the cabinet. These would scratch very badly. The finish on the Altos seems much more resistant to scratches. The only options that could be potential options WITHIN budget are the FBT J12a and DB Technologies Opera 712. However these only have one input! I do have a small ALlen & Heath ZED 10fx which is great but don't really want to have to carry something extra around.

• Members
Yes I'm a big fan of the Yamaha DXR's but wouldn't want to use one regularly as a keyboard amp/wedge monitor due to the finish on the cabinet. These would scratch very badly. The finish on the Altos seems much more resistant to scratches. The only options that could be potential options WITHIN budget are the FBT J12a and DB Technologies Opera 712. However these only have one input! I do have a small ALlen & Heath ZED 10fx which is great but don't really want to have to carry something extra around.

Yea I've certainly commented/complained here several times before about the fragile finish on my DXR12's but to be honest with covers for transport using them as monitors hasn't really been a problem -- there are shallow "nubs" of both monitor-base surfaces that offer some protection. Sure, you don't want to adjust their position by sliding them around with your foot but otherwise no real problems so far. They do sound very very nice.

• Members

A pair of DXR10's cost £940 which is a bit over budget. I'm wondering if it would be more sensible to use the budget to buy some nicer mics like the Sennheiser E945 and E935? This would potentially improve the vocal sound I'm getting through both the Altos and my main bigger pa (voice dependant of course)!?

• Members

My mics are :- 1x JZ HH1 1x Audix OM3 2x EV n/d767a 2x Sennheiser E838 3x AKG D5 Yes could be money burning a hole :) I think I'm going to stick with the Altos for the time being. Might get a couple of their SXM112a monitors. Also quite fancy getting something like those for corporate jazz gigs etc for minimal footprint :- http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_achat_404_a.htm http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_achat_112_suba.htm

Archived