Sticky XLR connectors

• Members

Quick question (I tried searching but came up empty): I just set up my new X32 Compact at my normal venue to use for tonight's performance and in making all the connections to the installed 16x8 EWI snake a couple of the XLR-f returns were very sticky/stiff to get apart. I did manage to get things dis/reconnected by being very careful but now wonder if something like a quick/light wipe with a scotchbrite pad and then a bit of silicone spray when I put things back to normal tonight would be an OK treatment? Please chime in as I'll need to reverse everything when I break down in a few hours. Thanks in advance!

• Members

I think it is the connectors on the X32 that are the "problem", not necessarily the snake cord ends. The xlr return connectors are very tight. It is nice to have a solid connection but these are so tight I think it will lead to damage of the cord end or something else eventually. There is just too much force needed to get them in and out.

So I too would be interested in learning of some sort of "lube" that would be safe and effective to use on those. Note that my X32 Rack does not seem to have this problem.

• Members

Mike, yea I've read of the sticky connectors on the X32 but this I believe was more of an issue with the plastic female XLR ends on the snake as the initial disconnect I made was between a snake return and a metal XLR-M to TRS adapter cable to the SL 16.4.2 AUX outs. The same snake connector was so snug plugging into the X32 that I didn't fully seat it -- just far enough to make good (enough) connections. All of the XLR-M snake ends felt fine plugging into the console and indeed disconnected fine as well. I was not involved with the initial purchase of this snake or I'd have advised they go with the Neutrik option for sure. Mark at Audio Pile has offered to help work through this so no worries there -- big thanks Mark!

This is an installed system so these dis/reconnections aren't common but the venue owner wants to also do music out on the patio during summer months and is considering whether to buy a second mixer or just move the present wheeled rack outside when needed so those decisions will weigh heavily on any ultimate solution. BTW, this was my first gig with the X32 and it all went great. I kept it simple and made sure I had the basics down cold. The X32's capacity for fancy certainly exceeds the SL series by at least an order of magnitude <wink>.

• Members

Interesting.

I believe the shells of the cord ends on the EWI snakes are and always have been zinc (metal). Those shells can succumb to deformation via physical means... not "easily"... or no-so more easily that most any other FXLR zinc cord end shell... but a good smack on a concrete floor or similar can put them out of round enough to cycle hard (or not at all) in a close tolerance jack.

In my past I've dealt with messed up XLR cord end shells at venues where the solution at the time was to remove the shell (which is typically fairly easy to do) and resort to making the connection with just the connector body of the cord end.

• Members

Interesting.

I believe the shells of the cord ends on the EWI snakes are and always have been zinc (metal). Those shells can succumb to deformation via physical means... not "easily"... or no-so more easily that most any other FXLR zinc cord end shell... but a good smack on a concrete floor or similar can put them out of round enough to cycle hard (or not at all) in a close tolerance jack.

...and so would follow that the female connectors would be the most exposed. OK.

Zinc huh? OK, I defer. I was making these connections while kneeling on a pair of barstools and hanging over the edge of the mixbooth and those ends were not as nice and bright shiny in my headlamp as the obviously metal connectors I was plugging them into. Good info Mark. I'll check the venue sometime this week..

In my past I've dealt with messed up XLR cord end shells at venues where the solution at the time was to remove the shell (which is typically fairly easy to do) and resort to making the connection with just the connector body of the cord end.

Makes sense.

Archived