Small-ish powered monitor

• Members

I'm looking to pick up a second small powered monitor for gigs. Right now I have a RCF ART310 (Mk II), which I like a lot. I've been using my NX35s with a QSC GX5 for monitors for bigger band gigs. They work well, but they take up a lot of room in my car, and I HATE dragging around a power amp.

I would just buy another RCF 310 and call it a day. However, I've already sold the amp, but I'm having some considerable trouble selling my Yorkville NX35s on CL. Also, the RCF doesn't have all of the features I'd ideally like to have in a monitor/utility speaker (HPF and MP3/Mic inputs).

So, I'm trying to consider some other options if I wanted to trade-in the Yorkvilles at one of the big box stores.

My ultimate wish list:

-Compact (8" or 10")

-Powered

-Inputs to handle mic and MP3 player (to make this a versatile multi-purpose speaker)

-HPF

-$400 or less

Some candidates. . .

-Mackie SRM350v2

-JBL EON510

-Alto TS110A

-USED Yamaha DXR8

-USED EV ZXA1

The EON and Yamaha are the only ones that have all of the ideal features. However, it seems like the opinion of those EONs here is not very high. The Yamaha would be a great option, but it's not a wedge shape - so I'd have to make and haul around some type of stand for it.

Thoughts? Something I'm missing?

• Members

I probably sound like a broken record, but EV ZLX12's are right in your budget, they accept 1/8" mini plug for mp3, mic input, do have a wedge for floor use, and the DSP I love cause you can set it for floor.pole config as well as live and speech only purposes. I did get mine for 299.00 each through a online price match. If I had to choose from your list it would be the Yamaha though.

• Members
Yamaha DXR 8 doesn't have the cabinet angles cut to be used as a monitor like the DXR 10. The DXR 10 is only a little bigger than the 8

Yeah, I know. That's the problem with that DXR8. The DXR10 is a viable option, but I've never seen a used one, and new would be way out of my price range. Seems like the DXR8s come up used all the time.

The DXR12s are what I use for mains

• Members
EV ZLX12P (forgot the p in my post) Sorry about that.

That is under consideration as well. Only problem is it is big, and space in my car is at a premium

EDIT: Actually, it is about the same size as my DXR12, which is workable. They are a good bit smaller than my Yorkies, and a bit bigger than the RCF 10

• Members
Have you seen this video on adapting a QSC K8 for use as a floor wedge? Maybe a K8 will work for you--or maybe the DXR8 has the same fly-point?
Just thinking out loud. Louis
That's really pretty genius. The K8 would be too expensive, even used . Definitely a possibility for the DXR8 if it has the fly points In other news, I had a minor unexpected windfall today, so I may have a little more to throw at this.

• Members
My local big box has the EON510 or the Mackie SRM350v2 on clearance for 299

Well there you go. While neither would be my first or second choices in the category, given the intended use, the fact you're not trying to match with existing speakers, and the price, I'd jump on it.

• Members

Okay, so here's how it went down. . .

I went to my local big box with the basic intention of trading in my cabs and getting the EON, with (hopefully) only a small cash outlay. Unfortunately, they had no interest in taking a trade on my Yorkville cabinets, stating that they wouldn't be able to easily resell any passive speaker because the local market prefers active.

Beyond that, they only had a floor model of the EON. It was in moderate shape, but still at the regular price that everyone on the internet is selling it for these days. So, now way I was going to pay that price for a floor model.

While I was there, I made the comparison of how cheap and flimsy the EON looked compared to the (much more expensive) Yamah DXR8. I also confirmed that the DXR8 has the exact same fly points as the QSC K8,

Given that I was in a little better place monetarily than I originally thought, I left there, spent a little more money, and ordered a used DXR8. I now am going to have a much better speaker, and still spent well under my budget. Whether the trick with the bolt in the fly point, buying an ampwedge, or building a wedge, I'll get it to work as a monitor. It will also be an incredibly useful utility speaker for a variety of applications.

I'll just have to wait to sell my other cabs on CL.

Thanks for all of the input.

• Members

Well that hit your price point. The problem I see is, of all the speakers you listed, the DXR8 is the only one that has a cabinet that's not suitable for floor monitor use. The 10 and 12 have a cabinet shaped for monitor angles, but not so in the DXR8, at least from what I can tell. So you're going to end up having to stick something under them and be careful the box doesn't end up resting on the cable jacks.

• Members
Well that hit your price point. The problem I see is' date=' of all the speakers you listed, the DXR8 is the only one that has a cabinet that's not suitable for floor monitor use. The 10 and 12 have a cabinet shaped for monitor angles, but not so in the DXR8, at least from what I can tell. So you're going to end up having to stick something under them and be careful the box doesn't end up resting on the cable jacks.[/quote']

See post #7 for what at least looks like it might be a solution to that problem. The video is about the K8, which suffers from the same problem, but Howie says that the DXR8 has a similar fly point, so perhaps the bolt trick will make for a usable and easy to transport tilt-stand. Might need some right angle jacks, though.... I've never actually tried this myself, since I don't own either of those speakers, but I've always thought the video seemed pretty clever.

Louis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

See post #7 for what at least looks like it might be a solution to that problem. The video is about the K8, which suffers from the same problem, but Howie says that the DXR8 has a similar fly point, so perhaps the bolt trick will make for a usable and easy to transport tilt-stand. Might need some right angle jacks, though.... I've never actually tried this myself, since I don't own either of those speakers, but I've always thought the video seemed pretty clever.

Louis

I got the speaker late last week. I plugged my iPhone into it to try it out, and it really is a punchy little box. Naturally, being an 8" woofer it's not going to thump, but it packs some volume and a surprising amount of low end.

I did the bolt and rubber foot trick. I had to buy a few bolts in varying lengths but it seems to work perfectly. No issue with it resting on the cables (I was concerned about that, too). Seems reasonably stable.

Looking forward to see how it performs at a gig this weekend.

Archived