Crown XLS2000 and Banana Plugs...

• Moderators

Just picked up one of these for my little PA.

I need to use the Speakon and the binding posts on one channel, to hang 3 monitors off it. According to the manual, the binding posts are shipped w/plugs, to prevent Europeans from plugging AC into them. Nothing in there about how you might be able to remove them...

Anyway, a quick Google brought up this vid:

30 seconds later, the plugs were out and I was good to go.

Using it on a small gig Thursday, the amp seems to be nice and you sure can't beat the size/weight/performance.

MG

• Members
Just picked up one of these for my little PA.

I need to use the Speakon and the binding posts on one channel, to hang 3 monitors off it. According to the manual, the binding posts are shipped w/plugs, to prevent Europeans from plugging AC into them. Nothing in there about how you might be able to remove them...

Anyway, a quick Google brought up this vid:

30 seconds later, the plugs were out and I was good to go.

Using it on a small gig Thursday, the amp seems to be nice and you sure can't beat the size/weight/performance.

MG

Or just use the amps without removing the plugs - just plug in from top or bottom instead of end of terminal…I find it helps to keep the cabling neater that way ????

​BTW..I love my XLS series amps….

• Members

Binding posts are shipped with plugs because the "banana" end connection does not confirm to en-60065 definition of touch proof. Has nothing to do with applying ac power to them. I don't believe it's possible to insert MDP banana plugs in from the top or bottom, those are for bare wire terminations.

• Moderators
Binding posts are shipped with plugs because the "banana" end connection does not confirm to en-60065 definition of touch proof. Has nothing to do with applying ac power to them. I don't believe it's possible to insert MDP banana plugs in from the top or bottom' date=' those are for bare wire terminations.[/quote']

I'm sure you're right, but this is from the manual:

Note: Binding post outputs on European models come with safety plugs installed to prevent

European power plugs from being inserted.

MG

• Members

I use banana plugs in through the top of the terminal posts in my amps and they fit nice and snug once tightened up and stay that way. They work in XLS series, XTI, Behringer EPX and Behringer EP series (in my experience)…..YMMV...

• Members

Not being able to plug in euro power plugs is an interesting take on this. Hadn't really considered that level of stupidity was really possible, but then again stupid is always being redefined! I did not think an MDP would be able to fit the wire entry hole... Definitely not how these connectors were designed to be used. I tested with the binding posts we use and they do not fit.

• Members
Not being able to plug in euro power plugs is an interesting take on this. Hadn't really considered that level of stupidity was really possible' date=' but then again stupid is always being redefined! I did not think an MDP would be able to fit the wire entry hole... Definitely not how these connectors were designed to be used. I tested with the binding posts we use and they do not fit.[/quote']

I agree and would add that I use some good strain relief in my rack to hold the plugs in place - being able to wind the bare wire around the post would give some extra security against the wires getting pulled from the amp.

• Members
Hadn't really considered that level of stupidity was really possible' date=' but then again stupid is always being redefined! [/quote']

George Carlin used to say "think about how dumb the average person is and remember that half the people are dumber than that" :)

• Members

I'm sure you're right, but this is from the manual:

Note: Binding post outputs on European models come with safety plugs installed to prevent

European power plugs from being inserted.

MG

You know they might consider banana plugs "power plugs" in Europe. I know that they are a bit more safety conscious there than in the U.S. AFAIK 1/4" speaker plugs are still legal here (although not a good idea). Obviously a high wattage power amp will deliver high voltage and plenty of current to kill you (which is why they have made all legal speaker connections "touch proof" in Europe. Maybe it's just a issue of nomenclature.

Archived