Caster board question

• Members

I will be making a couple of caster boards for some cases that lack wheels. Is there a standard set-back from the edge of the board for the caster mounting plates? Just far enough so the wheels don't project beyond the edge of the case, regardless of how the case is being rolled? (That's my guess.) I won't have anything that will be too wide for a standard walk ramp. Thanks! Mark C.

• Members

I'll offer that the position of the casters on the casterboard should be such that the axel shafts in their "swept-back position" should be ahead of the rack rails, so your leading edge of your case content's weight is behind the axel of the wheels. Otherwise, if the axels of the wheels are behind the rack rails, the case is likely to be tip-prone when being pushed.

If it helps to visualize: I'll suggest it's much more difficult to push something over on it's face if it first has to be pushed "up"... rather than if it can simply be pushed down on it's face. With the caster wheel's axels being positioned ahead of the rack rails, it's fairly well assured that the center of gravity of the loaded case would need to be pushed "up" to break-over the tipping point of the case.

• Members

Thank you, guys. I appreciate the advice on axle location vis-a-vis rack rail loading point, Mark. And Dave, I'll be sure to provide an extra squirt of Imodium in your next rental, at no extra charge.... Mark C.

• Members

Keep in mind that the size and type of casters is equally important. I get a good laugh when I see sopmeone trying to push racks on a caster board with 4" wheels on grass. I built a casterboard with 6" poneumatic tires for just that purpose. They work great, but they are another 2" off the ground and this has to be remembered as the center of gravity is too.

Archived