Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would turning down the 2450 create more heat? That seems counter-intuitive....not being smart here, looking to learn! "2-tier Class H" - this is basically a pair of linear amplifiers in series, right? Wouldn't turning it down prevent the output from swinging all the way rail-to-rail and generate less heat?

Wes
    <div class="signaturecontainer">--<br><br>Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85<br><br>Follow my new band, <a href="http://DrBombay.ca/connect.html" target="_blank">Dr. Bombay</a>! We're going to be organasmic!</div>

Comment

I'm also confused about how turning down generates more heat. And I understood that the 1850HD was just a derated 2450. There might be more to derating than I know. I never run loads that low and have never had an power amp thermal. (I have had a powered speaker thermal once.) I also generally don't push my equipment.

Comment

An old PLX 1802 works well on a pair of MRX 518's when run 2 channel. A 2 ohm load is tough on most of the amps available. The RMX 1850 was always advertised as 2 ohm stable where the 2450's didn't make that claim. The heat thing also has piqued my interest. Would you explain please Andy?

Comment

Turning a 2450 down to match an 1850's power will still dissipate greater power because the dissipation is a function of rail voltage which is higher on the 2450. Class H doesn't matter since both amps are class H. Look up the dissipation curves for class h amps and plot for 2 different sets of rail voltages and you will see what I mean. Since the hi-low rail ratio is about the same between amps, the heat ratios track as well. Class d does not suffer the same way, as it's non-linear and does not scale proportionally.

Comment

Or buy another 2450 and run 4ohm loads instead of 2. Running subs at 2ohms seems like an invitation for issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomm Williams View Post
              Or buy another 2450 and run 4ohm loads instead of 2. Running subs at 2ohms seems like an invitation for issues.
              I respect your opinion, BUT why put it in the manual if it can't meet the exepctations of the customer?

Comment

If you're running 2ohm on both channels I'd recommend the 1850hd for sure. How about 2 smaller lighter amps with 1 box per channel? I have only 1 pair of mrx518s. Most often they are powered off 1 channel of a yamaha P5000 with the other channel powering tops (ev sx300 or jbl 4725). I didn't know how this was going to work long term but the amp has been rock solid through 100+ gigs! same with the amp too, and this is using the crossover built into the amp. Another amp rack I use has yamaha P7000s and with 2 dual 15/2" over dual 18 per side the mid channels are at 2 ohms. Also rock solid. I used to have one amp at 2 ohms stereo driving mids and I could get it to shut off by sweeping the mids with the channel strip eq at +9 or so. It would just turn off, I'd have to turn it back on again. But with one channel driving 2 ohms and the other at 4 it has never had any issues. The point is... Run top boxes off the second channel of the 2450 and get a another 2450 and do the same. Or sell it and buy 2 lighter amps (p5000 or p7000)
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.rock-bot.com" target="_blank">www.rock-bot.com</a><br />
                Live-Band-Karaoke<br />
                <br />
                bassist and sound reinforcement</div>

Comment

Unalaska: Thank you for the post, I see what you mean, love the yamaha stuff I already own. Unfortunately I am running Stereo (those damn DJ's!!). I don't want to do it, but probably for this weekend I will put the yamaha cp 2000 on sub duty, it has never went down running 2 ohm loads, BUT to the ear it just doesn't seem to sound as good as the 2450 (probably just me), so not all is lost, there is a solution, your post has helped to turn me to that solution.

Comment

Stereo subs?
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">--<br><br>Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85<br><br>Follow my new band, <a href="http://DrBombay.ca/connect.html" target="_blank">Dr. Bombay</a>! We're going to be organasmic!</div>

Comment

Originally posted by wesg View Post
                      Stereo subs?
                      No but the tops are.

Comment

Originally posted by nchangin View Post

I respect your opinion, BUT why put it in the manual if it can't meet the exepctations of the customer?
                        Wouldn't be the first time a product didn't meet promises made by a manufacterer. I suggested a second 2450 as I owned about 4-5 of them at one time and thought they were pretty good amps, except for 2ohm sub loads in spite of what the manual states. With 4 ohm loads, never had a problem. And as stated, ohm load can deviate to where you could actually be under 2ohms. Give youself some room to spare.

Comment

Thank you Tomm I see your point now. Gosh another 40 lbs to haul around, I know now why I have 2 u rack space left, maybe it's a sign. heh

Comment

Originally posted by nchangin View Post
                            Thank you Tomm I see your point now. Gosh another 40 lbs to haul around, I know now why I have 2 u rack space left, maybe it's a sign. heh

Yep I had two per case and they were no fun to haul around, went to PLX and IPR's instead. I believe it was Andy who I first recall making a statement about 2ohm sub loads being a little risky. I've stuck with that approach ever since................zero amp issues.

I thought the 2450 made a great main or monitor amp, wouldn't hesitate to use one on an install.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomm Williams View Post
                              I believe it was Andy who I first recall making a statement about 2ohm sub loads being a little risky.
                              Risky with the 2450 but not so much with the 1850HD.

Comment

Used RMX2450's are dirt cheap ($300?), just buy another and keep the loads to 4 ohms or above.

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

Working...
                                X