samson live 1215 powered speakers

• Members

Singer has a pair of these. We used them last Friday night in addition to my PA. Anyone got specs on them besides that they're 500 watts? (He also has one JRX118 powered sub. Found the specs on that.) I'm thinking the Samsons might be marketed to the DJ crowd. I figure they raised the sound 3 db in the audience. We easily had the 85 db I wanted at 100'.) Ended up with about 250 people in the audience. No one sat closer than 40' away. We did have some mix issues while mic'ing the entire band. (I wanted a sound engineer, Others didn't want to spend the money.) Think there was a thought that it might not be loud enough. (I never believed that for a minute.) Don't know how many outdoor gigs this band did before I joined where they provided their own sound. We'll be at the State Fair in August and sound will be provided. We're playing the 4th for the city's fireworks show. (I use the term city very loosely here. It's more of a small town.) So there is at least one other outdoor show where we will be providing our own sound.

• Members

I reviewed the Samson Live! 1212s a few years ago, and even though I was very polite in my review - they were really pretty bad compared to almost everything else out there these days. It was difficult getting them to sound good with CD music without applying substantial EQ, which would lead me to believe they might be tough to tame for live sound. The HF driver IS the problem IMO. I recall another forum member back then telling me the horn has a sound similar to flies stuck in a tin can. :-) For general DJ use with playback music, they could be OK, but there are so many better sounding alternatives out there these days...

Al

• Members

That makes it a good thing that I ran them through a Drive Rack PX and used that for EQ in that open field. They didn't sound bad, but in a club the horns would have been low unless placed upon a table. (Or upon that non-existant second sub.) It would be nice to know how hard they can go without blowing up. (I really hope we never get close to that point.)

Archived