Foldback Speaker Arrangement

• Members

I recently purchased four foldback speakers - they are an Australian brand similar to JBL SRX 712M.

I went for two mirrored pairs and this arrangement works great particulary with the vocalist in the centre position - with a pair of speakers for his mix and then a seperate mix for the far left and far right speakers. My typically stage arrangment is below where the '|' represents the horn and the 'O' the woofer.

I O I O O I O |

--X----- X---- X

I regularly do a show with three female singers who share the leads and the centre stage position. Because they constantly move around (anyone of them can be in the centre middle or center left or centre right position) I run one mix for all three singers (one of them occasionly plays keys and will move off to the side for this).

The stage layout ends up up looking like this.

I O I O O I - - - O |

----X X X --------(Keys)

My matched pair set up is less than optimal for this situation. As the girls move around they notice changes to level and find it hard to hear themselves. With them all sharing the same mix it will be hard to hear any individual no matter what I do and I have suggested 'in-ears' but the singers are concerned about the look and that they do four costume changes during the show (and I suspect budget is also a factor).

Is there anything I can to improve the situation? I could use my old monitors (EV SX300s) which can be aligned with the horn all on the one side:

I O I O I O------ | O

-----X X X -------(Keys)

or to try just sharing two monitors in the centre (which might work as the band is quite controlled volume wise)

I O --- O I --------O |

----X X X -----------(Keys)

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Art

• Members

I would just give the 3 singers 2 wedges and call it good. I generally keep the horns to the outside, just as you've done.

As for the singers moving on stage and hearing changes in the monitors, that's what happens with speakers. Better speakers yield better results, but there's always going to be variation when a single, non-moving point source is involved and the person is moving around in front of it and getting off-axis.

Ears are the way to go, but if they don't want to pony up the cash then they can deal with the disadvantages of wedges. Wedges worked fine for decades, they'll keep working fine.

As for the appearance of IEM's, they could always wear the pack in a wireless mic belt/pouch under their costume to facilitate costume changes and hide the packs. Most good molded ear buds are very low profile and essentially invisible on stage, depending of course on the color you choose.

• Members
Simple fact the girls need to understand' date=' best place to hear the wedge is in front of the wedge. If you choose to move away from that position...............your loss.[/quote']

The girls actually need to move around as the show is choreographed with dance moves and whoever sings lead for a given song moves to the centre. It would be better sound wise if I could lock them into a monitor mix each but it just can't happen with this arrangement.

Cheers

• Members
If I was the keyboard player in that band' date=' I'd be really annoyed. I hate not having any monitors.[/quote']

The band has a keyboard player who definitely gets his own monitor. For a few songs during the show one of the girls provides additional keys (and this too has its own monitor).

Cheers

Archived