Good mics for reinforcing choir

• Members

I direct a 60 strong Rock choir. Occasionally we need some help getting across over a live band. I'm familiar with the basic theory (3:1 rule etc) Lots of firms make hanging choir mics at various prices, the cheapest of which is Studiospares which has one for around £45. But I need a solution which isn't for permanent installation and I think that I'll be better off with a more general purpose mic. I don't know whether I should be going for large or small diaphragm. I guess that the important factors are good rear rejection and sensitivity. I'm assuming cardioid is best rather than super-cardiod. I'd like to keep it to at or below £100 ($170) per mic. Also does anyone know of a cheap mic stand for getting the mic high enough, but not intrusive. I can't afford the ridiculous price of an Audix graphite boom system although that does look perfect for my purpose. I'm thinking of buying my own graphite tube and gluing a mic clamp screw on the end. Can anyone think of a reason why this shouldn't work?

• Members

Yes you are right. I was thinking of weight as well, and then I thought, why not wooden dowel (painted black of course. I have some handy which is about 12mm diameter and in lieu of a more professional method you can just wrap the end in gaffer tape to make the diameter sufficient to accept a 5/8" mike clamp. It might need something a bit more substantial for a heavier large diameter condenser however.

• Members
I direct a 60 strong Rock choir. Occasionally we need some help getting across over a live band. I'm familiar with the basic theory (3:1 rule etc) Lots of firms make hanging choir mics at various prices, the cheapest of which is Studiospares which has one for around £45. But I need a solution which isn't for permanent installation and I think that I'll be better off with a more general purpose mic. I don't know whether I should be going for large or small diaphragm. I guess that the important factors are good rear rejection and sensitivity. I'm assuming cardioid is best rather than super-cardiod. I'd like to keep it to at or below £100 ($170) per mic. Also does anyone know of a cheap mic stand for getting the mic high enough, but not intrusive. I can't afford the ridiculous price of an Audix graphite boom system although that does look perfect for my purpose. I'm thinking of buying my own graphite tube and gluing a mic clamp screw on the end. Can anyone think of a reason why this shouldn't work?

Yes you are right. I was thinking of weight as well, and then I thought, why not wooden dowel (painted black of course. I have some handy which is about 12mm diameter and in lieu of a more professional method you can just wrap the end in gaffer tape to make the diameter sufficient to accept a 5/8" mike clamp. It might need something a bit more substantial for a heavier large diameter condenser however.

Wooden dowels and gaff tape? Really? Buy a mic stand. Nothing you cobble together is going to look less obtrusive than a store-bought stand.

Stick with SDC's because of the weight, particularly if you're going to be using cheap stands. Cheap stands are cheap because they suck and won't reliably hold a heavy mic.

-Dan.

• Members

I'm not sure I would trust a long wooden dowel, certainly don't want it to break mid-performance. Something lightweight like aluminum, etc... would be much safer. I would also consider a weight for the base, a simple sandbag would work fine. As far as SDC's on a budget, the MXL 603 is a pretty good contender.

• Members

I used to worry about getting the stands up high and blah, blah, blah. I now use a good stand, like a K&M, and just point the mic in the general direction. Well maybe not quite that simple, but you get my drift.

I've used and own the following: AKG C1000's, Audio Technica 4041's and lately at elementary schools, a couple of Audio Technica AT2020's placed on straight stands in front of the choir. They probably work better for smaller groups and choirs, however the price is right. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2020

Archived