Deal or no deal.

• Members

Hey guys, a friend of mine is looking at this system on E bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turn-Key-JBL-SR-Series-Audio-System-/181429557074?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item2a3e0b5752 I don't know anything about these speakers so I thought I would ask here. The system is local so he could go over and listen to it. Anyway does this seam like a good price.

• CMS Author

Meh. The price seems high. Forget the amps, they're not really the right power for these...the sub and mid amps are not enough power for these speakers.

The speakers themselves are very high quality, but also very old....probably well over 15 years or more like 20. The "buttcheeks" HF drivers in the 4732 were notorious for failing due to excessive power, and you need to listen closely to be sure they're working. I don't think replacements or diaphragms are still available, but Agedhorse can weigh in on this.

Weight is excessive (I've got the newer version of the 19's, and a pair of 4735's) at 115lb for the midhighs and 190lb for the subs.

For the right price, and only if they are in full original condition working order (no aftermarket drivers), this would make an excellent install system.

• CMS Author
There's something funny about those cabs. That is not the original grills on the 4732, the hi freq driver is missing and there should not be the red JBL decal on the original horns for that cab. fetch?filedataid=101479&type=medium

I'm not sure either way...they did seem "funny" to me as well, but JBL changed designs a few times in the SR series, and the 32's got changed around a bit. But yeah, they look "odd" to me too.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I know that the weight would be a big factor for me. I wouldn't have minded moving those speakers 15-20 years ago but not now. The local music store had four used QSC HPR 151s recently for $400.00 a piece. I thought about buying a pair until I checked the weight. They were right a round a hundred pounds a piece IIRC.

• CMS Author

I do know that 100 pounds is considerable weight to lift above the waist. I have a routine of tilt, slide up onto the sub, then position, that I try to employ to get my 4735's (115lb) onto the 4719's. I can't dead lift them...the shape and size simply don't permit a grip that'll let it happen even if I had the strength and willingness to risk back injury.

Now the 190lb subs are whole 'nuther thing entirely. Had to get them out of my basement alone...twice. Will never have to do that again, thankfully. Even sliding something that heavy up carpeted stairs was overwhelmingly difficult and downright dangerous...if a misstep caused injury, I'd have ridden them back down and been crushed. Never again. Get help.

Archived