Public views on live music events

• Members

Hi guys at Harmony Central, Some of you guy might have seen my previous survey on the progression of a live sound engineer.

I need your help once more on a final survey.

Please can you find the time to complete the following survey on the "The public views on live music events".

The survey is based around what listeners expect when attending a live event.

Your views would be infinitely helpful as this information will aid me in completing my final year dissertation at university.

The link to the survey is below. Thank you

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S5R6WGT

• Members

Then maybe you should ask listeners instead. They'll give you much more weird answers than the people on this forum.

My thoughts exactly. As professionals in the industry, our opinions are going to be (at least mine) extremely subjective. What you need are objective opinions. I know most of us here look at a show from a very different point of view than "Joe average" out on the street.

I'll happily complete the survey in a couple of days (when I finish this current work binge :-), but it won't be from an average listener's perspective at all.

Cheers

• Members

Not trying to be unkind, but in my opinion that survey is pretty invalid - on many levels.

The techs that I know (including myself) just get the job done. Some of the bigger or pickier acts will want something specific, some will want a lot of specific "somethings" but that's coming from the band.. A survey will not influence a tech's decision as to what to put in the mix. Their own taste, mixing style, type of music and event, system and room limitations, and direction from the band and management will determine how the mix is shaped.

Focus groups have been used in the past for many things, and I guess they can be used for music and sound, but a focus group this is not.

Why not tell us what your current experience is, what your goals are, and how you plan to get there. Then you'll get some feedback that might help you a bit more than what you've linked to. That's my nickel (no pennies in Canada anymore)

• Members

He may have a separate survey for non-professional listeners. Would be interesting to read the differences between their and our responses.

I agree... and look forward to the results of the survey(s)... if the results are shared here someday.

• Members

Since the survey doesn't ask if the respondent is a musician' date=' sound engineer - amateur or professional, it is going to be hard to distinguish between these different types of answers.[/quote']

I'll suggest: "I don't think so."

I suspect my responses to the survey will lie somewhere out of the norm for "consumers"... just a hunch.

• Members

On second thought (and after a look at the survey), I won't take it as it will weight it in the wrong direction. If you want this survey to be valid, this is the wrong group to be responding. No offense but posting it here IMHO was a bit of a mistake. The other survey was a good one to post here as it asked for a professional's point of view.

Good luck on your dissertation. Feel free to post back here any time for an ear full of good (and sometimes conflicting :-) opinions.

Cheers

Archived