Samson DB1500A

• Members

Need some help with a pair of our old Samson DB1500A subs. Both have quit working almost exactly at the same time. By quit working, I mean there is no output at the speaker itself, however the signal from the output of the speaker to the input of the mains work fine. We have had nothing but problems with these subs. Was there inherent design problems? I really need the schematics on these. Any help is greatly appreciated, at the moment they are just simply some heavy wood boxes with no practical function :)

Thanks,

Jeff

• Members

What I would do, pull drivers test with 9 volt battery make sure they are working (driver will move up.down in.out with 9 volts across the leads), if they are working probably a solder joint if the xover is passing to the parallel output. Or the drivers are dis functional.

• Members
What I would do' date=' pull drivers test with 9 volt battery make sure they are working (driver will move up.down in.out with 9 volts across the leads), if they are working probably a solder joint if the xover is passing to the parallel output. Or the drivers are dis functional.[/quote']

How you came to this conclusion is baffling at best.

That's a powered speaker, there could be all kinds of possible problems that are the cause of this symptom.

To the OP, this might be a good time to seek a profesisonal repair shop to help you with diagnosing what may be wrong. Otherwise you might create larger, more unrepairable problems by trying to fis it yourself.

• Members

Probably going to throw them off of a bridge if it isn't as simple as the drivers. They have been junk since they were bought and not interested in throwing good money after bad. Not much trouble with the Samson mains, just the subs. We bought JBL PRX stuff to replace all of the Samson stuff we have and only use it for practice or larger outdoor gigs for supplemental sound. It has been handy to have around when it works, but with the low reliability it isn't worth putting much in. Just wondered if there was the same flaw in a lot of them like there often is on car parts, a known defect.. Have fixed tons of electronic stuff that way I.E. cold solder joint etc....

• Members

Maybe you were forcing them by mistake, asking the subs to sound like other thing and they weren't design to do that, I've seen those subs over here, they sound nice, but maybe they were for another application

• Members
You did disconnect the drivers from the amp right?

Yes. 100% just the driver by itself. Now if indeed it is the drivers and only the drivers, what would be best to put back? Will it have to be a Samson? I know specs would need to match. No faith in these things at all. Haven't checked the other, but it is doing the same thing as the one I have checked with apparent bad driver. Passing to parallel output fine, has green light but no sound at speaker. I am so down on these things because of the numerous warranty issues we have had. We would get a speaker back from the factory and it wouldn't even work straight out of the box. Very frustrating. Warranty is out on them finally. The one we haven't checked yet has only been used 2-3 times since being replaced new from Samson.

• Members
You so might reevaluate what you are doing with them. They may not be enough rig for your gig. I do not know of any problems with them.

That is always possible although I don't think that is the case. Our experience with them and yours is vastly different. Power supplies going out. Getting replacements that wont even work etc... really bad. It was a multitude of different problems. What would you do to replace drivers? buy factory replacements from Samson or is there a better retrofit? Thank you guys for your time and input on this.

• Members

Factory driver would be your best bet, speakers are tuned to the box, doubt there is a perfect 3rd party speaker fit for that box. However you still have the same amp.power supply that already gave you issues, do you want to continue using these speakers? I know I wouldn't.

• Members
Factory driver would be your best bet' date=' speakers are tuned to the box, doubt there is a perfect 3rd party speaker fit for that box. However you still have the same amp.power supply that already gave you issues, do you want to continue using these speakers? I know I wouldn't.[/quote']

We really don't use them much now. Replaced with JBL 618XLF. It has been awesome for going on a year and a half now. Just hate to chunk them if they can be fixed cheaply just to have around. Definitely won't be putting much $$$ in them.

Thanks!

Jeff

Archived