So I went to the local thrift store….

• Members

and they had a pair of OLD Peavey SP-3 cabs sitting there. They were beat up, but they kept calling to me (No, I don't know why.) I don't need them, have no use for them, but could not leave them there. Price was $50 for the pair. I get to the register and the lady says "You know these have a blue label?" I said "No." She says "Yes, blue label, so half price. That will be $25." I have no idea what to do with them at this point, but I got them for the nostalgia. I just have to restore these things. Low fi, heavy, no wheels. Sure, I want them. It must be a sickness….

• Members
These? http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80300649.pdf Remember that they only go down to 80hz or so. You'll want subs to get any kind of low end. But they do put out quite a bit of .. noise.. for what they are.

Those are the ones. Yea, low fi and they don't go low. No surprises there. Going to enjoy fixing them up though.

• Members

Going to enjoy fixing them up though.

I'll suggest that while you have them apart, check the solder on the crossovers. I had a couple of those... I recall replacing solder somewhere on the crossovers where the solder had melted with use... I can't remember where, but it was seemingly always in the same spot.

• Members

I'll suggest that while you have them apart, check the solder on the crossovers. I had a couple of those... I recall replacing solder somewhere on the crossovers where the solder had melted with use... I can't remember where, but it was seemingly always in the same spot.

I remember the Choke Coils were pretty large and not secured very well and they always broke where the leads connected at the pc board. I'd check those first.

Doug

• Members

I've bought cabinets like that before (not quite THAT good of a deal though) and just sold the drivers for a profit and tossed the beat up boxes. Make sure you check that they work and are clear that they are USED when you sell them. Don't forget to grab the crossovers & hardware as you never know when it can be handy (of course I'm a serious pack rat). But really - parted out you can make a few bucks. Some of the cheaper components just have trading value but still $25..........??????? I'd have bought them in a heartbeat.

• Members

Nice! That's less than $0.15 a pound!

Brings back memories. The first speakers I played through live were a pair of SP1 cabs my high school had. I got to see some real live SP1s this weekend actually. I visited my old sound guy and he's using a pair in his workshop / PA warehouse.

• Members

I JUST pedaled back from high school graduation ceremony watching some family friends graduate and guess what the school had for a PA? Yup. The ceremony was outside in a college football (both kinds) stadium with the stands on only one sideline. They did have a pair of 15s on sticks near the stage but then four SP-3s (with the obligatory pine angle enhancers) spaced ~75' apart facing the stands. They sounded... well... they sounded. Got the job done as the presentations were perfectly understandable so I guess it was enough rig for the gig. I got up close to one later when wandering the crowd giving hugs and I can confirm they sounded better from the stands. They would certainly make a nice bonfire if you can't get the drivers working in yours Stu.

• Members
I JUST pedaled back from high school graduation ceremony watching some family friends graduate and guess what the school had for a PA? Yup. The ceremony was outside in a college football (both kinds) stadium with the stands on only one sideline. They did have a pair of 15s on sticks near the stage but then four SP-3s (with the obligatory pine angle enhancers) spaced ~75' apart facing the stands. They sounded... well... they sounded. Got the job done as the presentations were perfectly understandable so I guess it was enough rig for the gig. I got up close to one later when wandering the crowd giving hugs and I can confirm they sounded better from the stands. They would certainly make a nice bonfire if you can't get the drivers working in yours Stu.

I know the oldest sp3s did not have pole mounts on the bottom. Someone added them on or these are a newer models. The horn loaded ones had no pole mount.They were too heavy for the tripods peavey sold at that time.

Dookietwo

• Members

I know the oldest sp3s did not have pole mounts on the bottom. Someone added them on or these are a newer models. The horn loaded ones had no pole mount.They were too heavy for the tripods peavey sold at that time.

Dookietwo

Dookie: The 15s on sticks near the stage were not SP-3s, they were some newer powered cabs (I didn't check what kind) and likely helped intelligibility quite a bit. The four PS-3s were solidly on the ground -- very solidly I'd say based on appearance.

Archived