Al's review of Costco's M2000 MKII active speaker with Bluetooth, USB, SD and radio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had to smile when I saw the title of this review. I just saw one in Costco the other day, and was mildly curious about them. They were playing tunes through it and the top end was a little annoying so I turned it down - hope the staff didn't mind! The low end seemed adequate, although it wasn't all that loud, so it was hard to really tell.

Anyway Al, you must have a great wife to let you, or even encourage you, to try the speaker out. Please pass on our thanks to her for being so understanding :)

The speaker does indeed look handy. Are you going to keep it?

• Members

I do have a terrific wife, indeed. Hearing and seeing the speaker in Costco is what initially got me interested. They were playing the radio through it and I noticed right away that it sounded better than the American AudioI had tested a few months back. Whoever set it up had the same settings I ended up with - highs at 0 and bass boosted +2. With this setting the sound is completely acceptable to my ears anyway for playback music. It is the multiple playback options - Bluetooth, USB stick, SD card, Radio as well as two input lines (XLX + 1/4" + RCA) that make this a good tool to have, also as a back up. Power is very adequate - I've already had a comment from a Britelite rep clarifying that the 2000 watts is a peak figure, but that the speaker has 500 watts RMS on tap. For 300$ with stand included, I will keep it.

Al

• Members

I recognize this as one of the "your name here" contract manufactured models very much along the lines of Nady products. That said, buyer beware when it comes to service and reliability If the amplifier is 500 watts "RMS" than by definition it's also 1000 watts peak and can not possibly be 2000 watts peak. That's just how the math conversion between RMS and peak measurement metrics work. Look closely at the HF horn throat, it may be a 3/4" exit and what's on the back (the driver) may not be what you might expect. It's also most likely a single amp channel powering the speaker using a passive crossover, every one I have looked at in this catagory has been this way. IMO, very uninspiring except to the lowest end of the low end market.

• Members

~~They actually do. They were voluntarily recalled a few weeks ago by Costco for this exact reason, and the new version does indeed have Underwriters Laboratories of Canada certification. As for Costco Audio, I think this item is really intended for the public in general and beginner DJs and as such is actually quite good. Better than I care to admit, actually…

• Members

~~I’ll have to check for the remote. It might actually be packed with the microphone I didn’t bother to open. Anyone curious to see some internal pics of this speaker? I’m guessing it might be better than expected given the better output and sound quality than I was expecting. This thing just stomps the American Audio ELS-15A although the same cabinet was used. I’m guessing upgraded transducers and amplifier module and perhaps some processing.

• Members
I recognize this as one of the "your name here" contract manufactured models very much along the lines of Nady products. That said' date=' buyer beware when it comes to service and reliability If the amplifier is 500 watts "RMS" than by definition it's also 1000 watts peak and can not possibly be 2000 watts peak. That's just how the math conversion between RMS and peak measurement metrics work. Look closely at the HF horn throat, it may be a 3/4" exit and what's on the back (the driver) may not be what you might expect. It's also most likely a single amp channel powering the speaker using a passive crossover, every one I have looked at in this catagory has been this way. IMO, very uninspiring except to the lowest end of the low end market.[/quote']

Looking at the manual it states "Bi-amp" in it. But no breakdown as to wattage to each driver. Or for that matter any spec sheet at all.

http://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20162797.pdf

Al. When you took it apart did you notice the wires for the horn coming from on place and the woofer another? Or did it have a positive and neg. wire coming from the amp section then going to a passive crossover. From there out to the woofer and horn?

Doug

Wanted to add. Does it have a monitor angle?

• Members

Looks to me like it's not biamped, I see what looks like a first order high pass series cap near the HF driver leads, and if it's really 500 watts RMS, there's nowhere near enough silicon to support that AND a HF amp. In fact, there's not enough to support 500 watts RMS at any kimd of reliability, but then again, there may not be enough power supply either, so as I said before, the engineering and marketing departments can look at tthe same product and come up with totally different descriptions.

Archived