Subs getting Dusted

• Members

It seems like most of the festivals I work at the area right in front of the stage turns to dirt after one day. This leads to the center clustered subs getting really filthy with thick dust. The last two events I have used one of those large heavy duty brown and silver plastic tarps to neatly wrap the subs like a big present. That has kept the dirt down and also protected them from rain and beer.

This does not seem to affect the sound of the subs but thinking about it more now I wonder if I might be compromising the subs ability to cool themselves on hot sunny days? These are SRX718s subs and the boxes are ported. The plastic tarps are basically flat against the fronts on an 4 wide x 2 high block of boxes and the tarp material is not air permeable. I would think this would somewhat restrict the airflow.

• Members
I would use cloth myself.

Is there a particular kind of cloth or will something akin to bedsheet material work?

These grassroots gigs often don't have adequate security fencing and sometimes the subs take a lot of physical abuse. This was the first day before I wrapped them up...

fetch?filedataid=100939

It's bad enough when the patrons start pawing them. What really gets me is when the artists have a 40' x 30' stage but feel the need to use the subs as part of the performance area. Buried under this mass are the subs with the players on top and everyone else trying to get up too (gotta make sure that insurance policy is up to date).

fetch?filedataid=100940

• Members

Mike I couldn't get your pics to come up but......................Unless you're getting paid one hell of a lot of money to do this, tell the promoter either people get off your gear or you're packing up. Dealing with blowing dust is to be expected, people stomping on your gear is absolutely unacceptable.

• Members

Pictures ... More confusion with the new forum. After messing around for 20 minutes trying to get the pictures in the post or at least links to them I gave up and cancelled the post altogether. Yet it seems to have auto posted. I can see the pictures when I bring up a browser session but who knows what is going on (arg!).

Tomm- yes I need be more detailed in the "contracts" about security fencing. Oh -and yeah, I always get paid a hell of a lot of money!

Archived