Thinking out loud

• Members

I am think about trying to further modular-ize my PA setup. Here's the thought:

Presently have a 16U amp rack that houses my (3) QSC PLX-3402 amps which are used for (2) Peavey DTH-S4 tops (1 QSC), and (2) JBL SRX-728 subs (the other two QSCs).

There are also (2) Peavey IPR-1600 amps for monitors.

Also in this rack are in and out connector plates and powercon power connectors from Audiopile.

Wanted to change to this:

3 10U racks

(1) for monitor amps with connector plates and power in

(1) for each side speaker stack with one NU-6000 each. One side for top and one side for sub.

This will eliminate the 100' 8 conductor cable i am using for the far side speaker at the moment. It will also update the aging PLX amps. I am already bringing two power cables into the present rack, so splitting them is no big deal. I have two 100' XLR cables that almost never gets used for signals to the far side.

It also allows for expansion were I to source a second set of subs and tops.

Is this a lateral move or to you think it not worth the effort to make this happen?

After selling the QSCs and IPRs, the present rack the original DTH subs I replaced, and a Crest CA12, I figure it to cost less than $100 for everything.

What do you think?

• Members

You didn't mention what you propose replacing the IPR's with - more iNukes? You are probably the only one here that would think that selling them fine QSC and Peavey amps to buy iNukes is an "upgrade". In any case an NU6000 without some serious DSP upstream will make short work of your tops and subs (~1200wrms per 8 ohm driver).

• Members

I'm doing a lot more of the national acts which makes my life so much easier. Jessie Cook a couple days ago, Kansas today... just so much easier not needing to reinvent the wheel and not having to listen to a million reasons why the PA makes the mix suck on newbie sound guys. With the nationals, everybody gets it, there are no excuses and funny how everything sounds good show after show. There are too many newbie foh guys at the lower levels who think they have all this experience at 23 years old but in actuality learnd how to mix on the Internet. We know how that tends to work out eh?

• Members

Very good band, and traveling with a good, solid crew also. Not an amp on stage at all, 100% PA for the show. This is how to make a PA work for it's living, and where a PA really needs to sound good too, no stage wash to hide behind.

• Members

Steve Walsh really strains to get the range he used to have but then again all these older great

singers eventually just can not do what they did in their early years.

One "older" singer that can still belt it out and sounds as good now as in his early years is Paul Rodgers from Bad Company. He did a stint with Queen as well. Amazing VOX :)

• Members

Why are we putting "older" and "old guy" in quotes? ;)

Walsh is 62. Rodgers is 64. McLean is 68. How much "older" does one need to be before the quotation marks disappear?

Or are the quotation marks what puts the "graceful" into "growing older gracefully"?

• Members
Maybe the quotes are indicating that though up in years' date=' you're not really OLD if you can still perform as you used to, and always were better than a lot of "young" performers today.[/quote']

If only my grandpa had known how to use quotes back in the day!

Archived