EV ZXA1- Great little speakers

• Members

That's what I'm using two ZXA1 with matching subs. They sound very sweet. I've tried running them off a DriveRack PX with it set up as a single sub source, double sub and double satellite and finally single sound source to each side just using the speaker's own frequency limiters. I've tried them back to back and I can't tell which one I'm using by sound. They just all sound alike. I do have times when the single source sub configuration works pretty well for particular setups. I also like the fact that if we end up with a new sedan or station wagon, the PA will continue to fit. (Not that sure about my Keyboards.)

• Members

Mixer section is just one mic input and one line in. Monitor angle could be better IMHO. Still... the rotatable horn is nice depending on what you need in your monitors... they are really compact (if you have a large band like we do that's a NICE feature)... and the output is MORE than enough for 90% of stages out there. AND... they sound like an EV.

• Members

I've been using a pair of these as monitors with K10 mains for our smaller gigs. Very compact stage footprint, light weight, good sound. The horn in the 50/90 degree version can be rotated if you want the wider angle as monitors.

The construction inside is a bit cheap looking, like the screws that hold the waveguide when you rotate it -- just self-tapping screws into the plastic cabinet, no captive nuts or metal threads. But it works okay. We've been using them for about 2 years now as monitors with no problems.

• Members

I recently brought the QSC K8 . I loved it at first but after using for a while I felt that there was something missing in the mids section. I sold it.

The EV is a different story the sound is so sweet and crystal clear with warmth and the bass is not over hyped , its just right.

I was plesantly suprised that such a small monitor can produce such an awesome sound. It works wonders with a Mackie VLZ 3 compact mixer.

plus I use a Lexicon MX300 effects unit

• Members

I've used them as FOH and monitors. They're pretty good either way, though the EQ has to be set different for using them as monitors. (Like I said, I've set them up using a DriveRack PX.) In one of my current bands, we just put them in the backline and use them as FOH. (Low volume.) I have used them with an R&B band with horns, synth and 7 vocals. They work at reasonable levels. (I hate loud.)

• Members

Oh, and last summer, I used them for FOH at an outdoor event mic'ing everything for a jazz group. (I had to add the bassist. Couldn't hear him out front at all and I hear bass quite easily.) Two mics on the drums, Bass direct in, mic on sax, key's directly in. Had a couple of Yamaha monitors and also powered a couple of SX100 for remote coverage on a different part of the Governor's mansion back yard. One of the ZXA1 satellites thermal'd in the sunshine. (During the speeches.) So you've got to watch them on hot days. (My iphone also thermal'd on that day.) They could either use a fan or additional heat sink on the back. The subs never gave me any problems.

Archived