Limiters.......????

• Members

We do not run any type of processing, except for vocal effect that is handled thru a mixwiz. We tend to be pushing our system, peavey sp2's over peavey sp218s at the edge at some outdoor gigs. Last friday I noticed a smell out of one of the tops, tore apart and inspected and didnt see much, but could smell that the voice coils had gotten warm.....they did not look burnt. Im not sure what caused this, but tend to think that it was a signal that was clipping. Our band tends to get a little louder as the night goes on,....our guitar player a lot louder. We do not have a FOH guy, and run everything from stage.

Question is, ....Will a limiter help in this situation?? Or some other type of processor?? Guess we need some type of protection but not sure what way to head. A sound guy would be great, but is not feesable.

• Members

Powered products already have limiters. *edit.. I see they aren't powered eh? your amps might have the limiters at that point*

I might suggest working out more control with your volume, as you don't want to be slamming up against a limiter anyway. I also somewhat doubt that you really need to be getting that much louder as the show progresses. The sound guy would probably tell you to stop turning up anyway.

• Members

Yes ... external limiters would give you a reasonable amount of protection (if you set them correctly). Those amps have clip limiters so it's not "clipping" that is the problem but just too much power in general.

• Members

Take a DC ohms reading of the voice coils with a VOM. They should typically read between 5-7 ohms for an 8 ohm

loudspeaker. Let us know what the reading is. I have seen passive xover inductors melted and burned.

Take the loudspeaker out and press on the cone gently in and out with both hands on the cone keeping it centered.

If you feel rubbing you will have to get a recone.

• Members

I have removed the speakers and magnets and looked at them. I have not measured anything yet with a dvom. The windings have a little smell to them but do not look but a shade of difference in color compared to new ones. They made no noise when moving them up and down when assembled. Sorry if Im hard to understand....Im a auto technician for heavens sake!!

• Members

ok...whats a bobbin?? I can smell the burnt smell on the VC, but its not really discolored that much. I have fried our sub VC's before and they look nothing like they did. Another thing if I may ask you all, how can I check the horn?? Guessing this would be good to know also.

• Members

Thought I did........after I got home I ohmed the vc's, they were right at 6 ohms. And the horns were right at 2ohms. I reassembled them and will test em this weekend. I appreciate everyone's response's. I am not near any "professionals" so I have to use what is available..........and that would be me and this internet thing

• Members

yes they were still hooked up, They were still in the cab and one of the wires I couldnt see so i just alligator clipped the leads blindly. Im livin and learnin here.....very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

Archived