SL 16.4.2AI or A&H Qu16? Need Your Recommendations

• Members

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed TO DEATH. But, I can't even find the search function anymore.

Anyways, we are finally going to upgrade our mixer. The old 1604VLZ is just about done. I've done a bunch of research and I think I've narrowed it down to the SL 16.4.2 AI and the Qu16 . Our budget is $2k. We don't have a full time sound man, so I end up mixing from the stage most of the time. We definitely want to go digital to eliminate a lot of the outboard gear and make set up a little simpler. Also, digital is clearly the wave of the future. I like the SL and the Qu16 because all of the faders and many of the controls are easily accessible which I need when mixing from the stage. I'm leaning a little towards the Qu16 because of the digital snake option. It would be nice to only have a CAT5 cable going to the stage as opposed to a traditional snake when we do use a sound man.

Before I drop $2k on a new piece of gear, I would like to get your opinions on these boards. Also, I am very open to suggestion. The only thing that I really don't care about is the remote ipad mixing. They all do it. But, for my purposes, I doubt I will use it much.

So, fire away. I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

• Members

I chose the QU16 and I LOVE IT !! I must admit it took a while for me to go the digital route (old school fuddy duddy) but I am so pleased I did and especially with what I chose. I have no experience with the competitiion and I am sure you will get very mixed suggestions as they are all so good and much better than any analog at this level when it comes to lugging around racks of effects etc. and scene saving blah blah blah....

You mentioned not using an ipad but I have to admit I get such a kick out of using mine and walking the crown with it...the looks on peoples faces!!! I haven't used my snake in months ....

• CMS Author
I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed TO DEATH. But' date=' I can't even find the search function anymore.[/quote']

The search is the "Use Google Site Search" located in the upper right of every page, right below your ID/logon. It's the first usable search in forum history!

• Members

Between the two, I would pick the Qu-16. You should give careful consideration to the X32 Producer and Expression Si 1 as well.

The Expression Si does not include the ability to multi-track record and playback as do the others; however, it is still a very nice mixer.

If I were to rank them, it would be under the following conditions:

Case 1: Someone who isn't comfortable with new technology or interested in learning new ways of doing things:

1. Soundcraft Expression Si 1
  2. Qu-16
  3. X32 Producer
  4. 16.4.2 AI

Note, that while I think that the 16.4.2AI is easier by far to learn than the X32 Producer, I simply can't recommend a digital mixer today that doesn't include remote and recallable gains for the preamps.

Case 2: Someone who is looking for the most powerful digital console and is willing to learn how to get the most out of it.

1. X32 Producer
  2. Qu-16
  3. Expression Si
  4. 16.4.2AI

Note that the Expression Si is rated below the Qu-16 because it doesn't have the ability to multi-track record and playback (which is SOOO nice for bands that mix from stage).

The X32 Producer is at the top due to its huge feature list. It is by far the most competent digital mixer in the group, but is more difficult to master. It also has the most comprehensive remote app support including PC, Linux, OSx, iPad, iPhone, and Android.

Good luck!

• Members

I've had my Qu-16 for only 4 shows now but am digging it. I used a SL 16.4.2 from 09-13 and a Mackie Dl1608 all last year. The Qu-16 is easily the best of that bunch. It's like a StudioLive on steroids. FWIW, I got mine for much less than $2000. PM me for more details about that if you'd like.

• Members
I've had my Qu-16 for only 4 shows now but am digging it. I used a SL 16.4.2 from 09-13 and a Mackie Dl1608 all last year. The Qu-16 is easily the best of that bunch. It's like a StudioLive on steroids. FWIW' date=' I got mine for much less than $2000. PM me for more details about that if you'd like.[/quote']

Do you miss the meters on the SL? I have an Expression and have used more sophisticated boards, but I love the metering on the SL and for most of my gigs it does all I need.

• Members

Do you miss the meters on the SL? I have an Expression and have used more sophisticated boards, but I love the metering on the SL and for most of my gigs it does all I need.

Good point. The channel VU meters on the SL are the best of the bunch while the VU meters on the Qu-16 are the worst of the bunch (only 3 segment led).

Also, as Abzurd eluded to, there is a big price difference between the Qu-16 and the Expression Si, so while I like the expanded features of the Expression Si, the bigger price tag is hard to overcome for many (about 1K difference).

• Members

Yes, I do, however, as a band running sound from stage, I can't really be looking at the mixer much anyway. With the iPad I can position a meter bridge in a better location. and group what I need to see on one screen. So practically speaking I have all the meter bridge I need.

• Members

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the Qu16. I looked at the Soundcraft, but I don't know that we would maximize the additional features for our purposes.

I appreciate all of the replies. Looking to buy within the next week. If there is anything else I should consider before pulling the trigger, I'm all ears.

• Members

I work on a 16.4.2 regularly and I'd say the QU16 is a step up in general but do use the subgroups on the SL extensively which the QU does not have. The "high definition" metered bridge on the SL console is great but as others have noted the iPad and or laptop display on the QU may cover that feature.

• Members
I work on a 16.4.2 regularly and I'd say the QU16 is a step up in general but do use the subgroups on the SL extensively which the QU does not have. The "high definition" metered bridge on the SL console is great but as others have noted the iPad and or laptop display on the QU may cover that feature.
I think more and more work that used to happen on the console is moving to the tablet. In some cases, all of it ;)

• Members

Indeed. While I've finally grown more used to the SL 16.4.2 console's LED display(s) and can more rapidly discern dynamics and EQ settings on a selected channel, I still often bring a laptop as a picture is worth a thousand blinky lights. As I've mentioned here before, I've even extended the capabilities beyond what Personus provided by figuring a way to wire the audio input on my iPad directly to the monitor bus and thereby get a StudioSix AudioTools Spectra/RTA display of any solo'd channel(s). The latter has been more of a learning tool than a critical control but nonetheless...

• Members
Indeed. While I've finally grown more used to the SL 16.4.2 console's LED display(s) and can more rapidly discern dynamics and EQ settings on a selected channel' date=' I still often bring a laptop as a picture is worth a thousand blinky lights. As I've mentioned here before, I've even extended the capabilities beyond what Personus provided by figuring a way to wire the audio input on my iPad directly to the monitor bus and thereby get a StudioSix AudioTools Spectra/RTA display of any solo'd channel(s). The latter has been more of a learning tool than a critical control but nonetheless...[/quote']

I'd be interested on how you hard wired the iPad to the SL mixer ?

• Members

I'd be interested on how you hard wired the iPad to the SL mixer ?

As follows starting from the iPad backwards:

1) Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (MC531ZM/A) which is functionally a standard USB to Apple 30-pin adapter.

2) Griffin Technology 7725-IUAI iMic USB Audio Interface which is functionally a 1/8" Mic or Line input to standard UBS adapter.

3) A RatShack 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TS cable. To be honest when I bought it I assumed it was TRS to TRS and would thereby supply a stereo signal to the iPad but now I'm not even sure that's possible. It seems to sum the stereo to mono without issue -- at least nothing has fried yet!

Then plug the 1/4" TRS into the headphone jack. I've also wired to the monitor outs as well but the headphone jack is more convenient at the venue I work. And just to complete the configuration, I have a 1/4" TRS M to F Y cable so I can use headphones and the iPad at the same time. The iPad automagically senses whether to use the USB source for sound when it's plugged in or the built-in mic when it's not.

• Members

1) Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (MC531ZM/A) which is functionally a standard USB to Apple 30-pin adapter.

2) Griffin Technology 7725-IUAI iMic USB Audio Interface which is functionally a 1/8" Mic or Line input to standard UBS adapter.

3) A RatShack 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TS cable. To be honest when I bought it I assumed it was TRS to TRS and would thereby supply a stereo signal to the iPad but now I'm not even sure that's possible. It seems to sum the stereo to mono without issue -- at least nothing has fried yet!

Then plug the 1/4" TRS into the headphone jack. I've also wired to the monitor outs as well but the headphone jack is more convenient at the venue I work. And just to complete the configuration, I have a 1/4" TRS M to F Y cable so I can use headphones and the iPad at the same time. The iPad automagically senses whether to use the USB source for sound when it's plugged in or the built-in mic when it's not.

I have Tascam IU2 pictured along with Six Studio tools and be cool to hardwire into the SL mixer for more analyzing.

• Members

​I have Tascam IU2 as pictured along with the Six Audio Tools and be cool to be able to hardwire to the mixer for additional analyzing.

Archived