Road Case Tool/Utility Box

• Members

Considering buying a utility box that has a table to hook on the side. I see Audiopile has them and wondered if anyone else uses them. Looking to clean up the storage areas for mic's, cables, DI's, etc. Been searching around for a used Anvil but no luck. Of course as soon as I want to order one they get back ordered. I think it would clean things up into one case.

• Members

I've owned an Audiopile workbox for years, but the version without the table. I wanted to put bolts in the door to hold rolls of tape, so the table version wouldn't work for me. I attached a pic, and you can see that it holds a lot of tape, and I installed velcro straps to hold my collection of spare console lights.

My biggest issue with it, other than it's smallish (for me) size, was that the drawers are heavy when loaded, and the case would want to tip over with just the bottom drawer open, or if any 2 drawers were mostly open at the same time. I solved that problem by bolting a piece of 1/4" steel to the back of the case. There's enough room behind the drawers for it, and the steel takes up most of the back wall of the case. It adds 60lbs or so to the weight of the case, but at least it doesn't tip over any more, even with 3 drawers open.

I didn't use that workbox for mics, just DI's, clips, cables, and tools. It wasn't big enough for mics, so I used Audiopile 24 and 40 hole mic cases. It was frustrating to try to find a large enough surface on or near the stage to set those mic cases on.

I recently retired my Audiopile workbox and mic cases, and picked up 2 larger workboxes that pack better and have room for all my mics. I have one workbox for mics, DI's, and instrument cables, and another for tools, adapters, headphones, and other stuff. I keep the Audiopile box around for the times I need a smaller workbox though. It's too nice and useful to get rid of.

Used workboxes are hard to find. I bought my first workbox used about 10 years ago. I got a decent price on it, but it took a lot of time and money to get it into usable shape. It needed 8 new casters, new slides, new corners, and I recently just put new drawers in it. It's nice, now, but I'm much happier with the boxes that I bought new, including the Audiopile box.

In general though, workboxes are great.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n100577[/ATTACH]

Archived