Upgrade Experience X32 Rack v1.15 to v2.04

• Members

First, I would like to explain my expectations before I upgraded.

I understood that the X32 Mix and X32 Edit applications would not have the RTA presnt in this release. Still, I thought there were other useful features which would make the upgrade worth while. Also, I like being on the latest revision so that any issues I have can be shared and I can get help from the community.

The actual update process was perfect. Despite the note that the upgrade may take 2-3 min longer than the normal boot up, it took only 30 seconds (maybe less). Very nice.

The boot time appears to have been sped up. I can't verify this since I didn't measure before I upgraded, and I don't have a copy of the older firmware.

My saved scenes imported flawlessly (nice job Behringer).

The first order of business was to put to bed this rumor that the efx were modified between 1.15 and 2.X. from here:

It is slightly noticeable that the processing has been altered. I would imagine that more than the plate reverb has been modified, but I have no intention of going through as an exhaustive study as I did on the verb (I have a full engineering analysis for anyone that wants a copy). Ok, so I change and tweak my scenes a bit (specifically, a little less send on the verbs and a bit more on the delay) and I still have fantastic sounding output from my X32. No problem.

I was specifically looking forward to the snipits and cues since I believe I have some work flows in my mix-from-stage application. Most of my early fiddling was with the X32 Edit program, so I was taken aback when the iPad app notified me that I couldn't use snipits or cues!!! I am quite disappointed with this omission :twisted:

Ok, after a beer and lunch I was feeling better. So I thought I would try out some of the new user presets (thanks

Behringer). That was one of my feature requests!!). In specific, the compressor settings were really interesting and have helped me get a better sound than I had before. I played with some of the vocal verbs, but really like the one I have much better. It is just a taste thing I think.

The X32 Mix (iPad) app worked fine, and in fact I think is more responsive than it was. I particularly noticed that manipulating the PEQ is much nicer now.

I spent quite a bit of time reviewing some gig and practice multi-track recordings and was able to get some really nice sound.... which is really all that matters. I like the delay better now.

I think that there are some new possibilities for the future for we X32 Rack and core users, but sadly, lots of what I was looking forward to can't be utilized yet by the remote applications.

The fact of the matter is that 1.15 was pretty darned good. 2.04 is not a step back, and there have been some improvements.

btw, does anyone know what one would do with a multi-band compressor? I am afraid that I would do more harm than good if I tried to use it without researching how to use it well.

• Members

I'm hoping my Qu-16 gets a multi-band compressor some day. I'd use it for keys and guitar to tame the mids of some patches, which would be good for our "mix from stage" band. Even though the patches look leveled the character of the sound determines how much it cuts through the mix. A mult-band would help. Would also be good for taking some "thunder" out the bass guitar when the low notes are struck hard.

• Members
I'm hoping my Qu-16 gets a multi-band compressor some day. I'd use it for keys and guitar to tame the mids of some patches' date=' which would be good for our "mix from stage" band. Even though the patches look leveled the character of the sound determines how much it cuts through the mix. A mult-band would help. Would also be good for taking some "thunder" out the bass guitar when the low notes are struck hard.[/quote']

I couldn't find the multi-band compressor for a while.... they call it a "Combinator". It is available on the first 4 stereo efx engines, so if you want to use it on the L/R mix you pick the stereo version. If you want to use it on individual inputs, you can use a dual "Combinator" and have 2 of them used for only a single FX slot. It is only available on the "side chain / Insert" FX slots (there are 4 other efx slots, but they are insert only). Not really sure what the thinking was there.

I feel like I have a pretty good sound going right now. I might just leave it alone. Having all these cool toys at my finger tips is tempting me to muck up a good thing with too much stuff!

This is a clip of a song from last practice. I played it back through reaper into the X32 Rack and recorded it on the X32 Rack USB recorder with the v2.04 firmware (which shows a cassette tape complete with spindle movement when it records .... my kids don't even know what those are ;) ).

If anyone has any comments on the mix, eq, etc, I would welcome them

• Members

As to the current status of V2.04 software, are you saying there is no downside to upgrading from V1.15 at this point? For a while I thought the mix32 (iPad) app or maybe the X32-edit program did not work at all yet. I was holding off until they were done and stable but it sounds like they are now? I realize there are some NEW features missing, but I need all the old ones to still be there.

Also, I am on an iPad2 with ios6. Do I have to update to ios7? I was holding off on that due to a presonus studiolive issue that has since been corrected but also because I read various reports that ios7 provided little in the way of benefits on an iPad and was somewhat slower.

• Members

I spent some time over on the B forum and partially answered some of my own questions. The x32-edit software that works with 2.04 was only recently released (April 25?). Early reports are pretty good for the basic functionality with a few new bells and whistles. However quite a few little quirks also being reported with x32-edit. Bottom line for me is 4 days in the wild is way too bleeding edge for me. Not sure when the latest version 2 iPad app was released or upgraded but I'll wait until all the software is a little more stable.

Sounds like due mostly to the way apple's app store works is you do have to get ios7 in order to get the version 2 x32 app for iPad.

• Members

As you stated, the new iPad software works only on iOS 7... Which also means iPad 1 can no longer be used. The PC app and iPad app now consume less processor, so even without any other improvements, they are worthwhile. The PC app includes cues and snipits. The new firmware starts up faster, has an RTA on both PEQs and GEQs. There is also a multiband compressor and the ability to use 16 faders as input faders for the producer and compact. I found no downside to the upgrade but was disappointed that the iPad app could not take advantage of the new features. I have not used the board on anything but recorded playback from reaper yet, but I have had no issues at all.

Archived