Dumb "How To?" Question For You Guys

• Members

Right now, our PA is one big rack; mixer, eq's, x-over, effects, and amps. Frickin thing weighs a country ton. We want to split things apart to make it easier to move. If I put the mixer in it's own case, how would I make the connections to the amps assuming I have the mixer out front and a smaller rack with the amps, eq's, and x-over onstage? Do I just get 100' long cables and zip tie them together? I'm completely lost how to make this happen, yet I see it done all of the time.

Suggestions please........

• Members

... or the adapters that incorporate a short length of cable in between the different ends. I actually find these more useful since spacing on most mixers at those output/aux TRS jacks is usually too tight for the shorty plug adapters. You could also change the connectors on the ends of the cables for those channels on the fan end of the snake. I just did that for several channels for which we were always using the adapter cables I mentioned... freed those adapters up and made connecting the snake simpler and cleaner, too. If you're handy with a soldering iron like that... FYI - I use Switchcraft 297 plugs BTW, but there are others that are fine for this as well.

• Members

If you've got the send channels to spare, you can use "turnarounds" or the adapters we were talking about... only in reverse for the other two returns. They make those adapters in TRS:XLR-M and TRS:XLR-F... and XLR-M:XLR-M and XLR-F:XLR-F turnarounds. Not ideal... that's why I use snakes with more returns.

Always a good idea to have a few adapters, turnarounds, etc. like this in your bag of tricks... 'cause you never know what might go down at the gig.

Archived