Routing 2 guitars into vocal effect

• Members

Hi All,

Wanted to get an opinion .... Our singer has a vocal harmonizer pedal that requires a guitar input. I want to be able to route two guitars into the vocal pedal, only one will be played at a a time - an electric and an A/E. The input to the vox box is 1/4" instrument. Could I use a Y connector to bring both guitars to the input jack. The output from the vocal efx will go to an A/B switch - the A/E goes direct into the board, the electric goes to the pedal board/amp. I'm wondering if putting the two guitars into the vox effects via a Y cable would present any problems. I'm trying to minimize the use of switches if I can. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

RR

• CMS Author

There are potential impedance problems with using y-cables for inputs. Given that the harmonizer uses the guitar input to determine key/pitch, an accurate signal is important. I'd put an A/B input switch in line to keep the unused guitar from adding it's opinion (in case someone forgets to turn its volume down).

• Members

I agree with Craig. Those pedals are finnicky enough (I returned mine). Use an A/B pedal to route the guitars to the harmonizer pedal. Or failing that, just sing the harmonies :)

A Y cable might work, but will it work all the time? And if it fails would it be a small or epic fail.

• Members

Thanks all, I am currently using a Morley A/B to switch between guitars and it works fine but what about on the backend, sendng a signal from the vocal efx to 2 different amps? I could use another A/B switch there. I would really like to find one switch to do both the input and output side, This would reduce the opportunity for something to go wrong. I will look into a dual AB switch.

• CMS Author

I'm not sure such a switch exists, assuming you're hoping for one that has the input "A" switching tied to the output "A", etc..

Sometimes in these situations it's better to get a second harmonizer pedal. Less cabling to confuse or fail, less confusing to use. Just more money...

• Members

Usually turning the volume all the way down on an electric guitar shunts the output to ground. If the output of the electric guitar is connected via Y cable directly to the output of another instrument it will shunt the output of the other instrument to ground as well.

Can you accomplish what you you are tying to do by using a send send return on your mixer?

Archived