The most honest gear review ever!

• Members

My daughter was at a downtown class last week, when she spied a film crew unloading location gear onto the sidewalk in front of her school. There was a fair bit of stuff, but in spite of that, they hopped in the truck and drove off leaving it unattended. Being the poorest neighbourhood in Vancouver (actually all of Canada), that was not a good idea. A few seconds later, a poor soul, obviously crazy and probably homeless, was wandering down the street, screaming at no one in particular, when he stopped and spotted a huge audio snake amongst all the movie gear. He instantly focused his verbal attack on the snake. Telling it that it was no good, and foul and evil. He held nothing back and used every cuss word he could to put the snake in its place. And still, no film crew in sight. So the fellow did the only sensible thing, and picked up the snake box end first, and chucked it right into the street - and right into the path of an oncoming bus. The articulated kind (essentially two buses tied together). The bus didn't even have time to stop, it just wildly swerved into the other lane and kept on going.

My kid never did get to see the look on the crews faces when they returned and found their snake in the middle of the street. That would have been priceless.

Talk about two worlds colliding. The mega millions of the movie industry, and the tortured folks who have slipped through the cracks. Still and all, I'd hate to see what that fellow would say about Monster cables!

• Members
Shaster, short digression, I just saw my alert of a 6.7 magnitude quake just off the west coast of Vancouver Island last evening. All, ok in your area?

It was off the coast of Vancouver Island. Some folks felt it over there, but no "real" damage has been reported. I reckon there will be a lot of folks checking their earthquake kits this weekend - me included!

Seems that floods, snow storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and volcanoes... are all Mother Nature's way of reminding us who's the boss. Puts things in perspective.

• Members

Halarious... and brings back a memory of my past.

Decades ago I was working for a farmer (summer job during my college years). I was out in the shop doing maintenance on a truck and couldn't help but overhearing "a management meeting in the nearby farm house" that wasn't "going well"... in-fact the meeting was going decidedly "bad" (from what I could tell). The management meeting was exclusively between the co-owners of the operation, being the husband & wife that owned and operated the farm. About the time I heard a number 12 Griswold skillet hit a wall, the husband exited the meeting (probably on the verge of being crazy and homeless at that point)... he wandered past the shop and out to the machine shed screaming at no one in particular... I scooted myself in a little deeper under the truck I was working on... the farmer's dog joined me. Shortly there-after I heard the farmer get into one of his tractors... and hit the start button... and the tractor didn't start. I heard the tractor's door slam, and then an ungodly noise accompanied by every cuss word he could put on the tractor emanating from the machine shed. Come to find out he'd... I dunno... maybe "done the only seemingly sensible thing he could do at the time": pulled a logging chain off the wall and commenced to beating the snot out of the tractor... I peered out from the corner of the shop door about the time he'd hucked the logging chain out into the machine lot and was seemingly trying to huck the tractor out into the machine lot... that didn't work... so he went "for a walk". About 4 hours later he was "back from his walk"... hopped up in the tractor again... and it started (likely because in his absence I'd reached up into what was left of the cab and kicked the throttle into the "run" position... past center of the "off position"). I clocked out at 6:00pm and went to the "house" for dinner... there was no dinner... there was no cook... the #12 skillet was still stuck in the wall of the house, and Mrs. Farmer's Cadillac was gone, as was Mrs. Farmer (aka "the cook" AFAIWMC that time of the day)... Mr. Farmer was still out plowing (something) so I went to bunkhouse, took a shower and went to bed. Next morning I returned for breakfast and work... and everything was "fine".... the skillet had been removed from the wall and was on the stove frying up bacon, and the wall where the skillet was stuck the day before was perfectly fixed, and the tractor was in the shop with a good start on freshening it up underway... and the dog was fine (although seemingly a little pensive at the time... as was I)... and I still had a job.

• Members

Great story. You and the dog had the right idea - lay low and stay out of the way.

It's funny how we can anthropomorphize almost anything if it gets us ticked off enough. I've been guilty of slamming a kitchen cabinet door or two, after I've whacked my head. There's also the classic Fawlty Towers scene where John Cleese attacks his stalled Mini with a tree branch!

• CMS Author
There's also the classic Fawlty Towers scene where John Cleese attacks his stalled Mini with a tree branch!

It was a hedge, and it was hilarious. I remember rolling off the couch I was laughing so hard.

I remember taking out my frustrations with a DeWalt jigsaw after it had decided not to follow my steering inputs and destroyed a door slab. That yellow plastic is *really* tough. The concrete shop floor only tickled it, and a 20oz ball peen was no match. If they'd made the blade guide as well as the case, the case wouldn't need to be as impact-resistant....

• Members

It was a hedge, and it was hilarious. I remember rolling off the couch I was laughing so hard.

I remember taking out my frustrations with a DeWalt jigsaw after it had decided not to follow my steering inputs and destroyed a door slab. That yellow plastic is *really* tough. The concrete shop floor only tickled it, and a 20oz ball peen was no match. If they'd made the blade guide as well as the case, the case wouldn't need to be as impact-resistant....

Craig: I think you and I shared our co-stories on this subject some time in the past... I seemingly had the same model of jigsaw, and it met it's fate in much the same way and for much the same reasons, and there's still some chips out of my shop's concrete floor where "tough yellow plastic met floor" at the end of an arc swung by the cord attached to the jigsaw. I can't remember how I administered the coupe de grace to that well deserving jigsaw... it seems like I recall employing the services of the blunt end of a splitting mall.

• Members

I was the guy who didn't hide under the tractor... at a band rehearsal a big guy who'd never been there before, but we all knew him, started laying in the violin player. He was being aggressive and nasty, he didn't even know the violin player per se. I thought to myself, just let this blow over, otherwise he'll take his obnoxious rant out on me, but I really didn't like him disrupting the vibe of our rehearsal and just being an a hole, so I did ask him to back down.

And of course I was right... he then laid into me for 10 minutes and said a lot of negative, horrible things. I learned later he's fighting cancer and is lashing out in really unconscious ways, expecting people to care about him and his plight, etc etc.

But moral of the story- dealing with crazed people, even if temporarily, hiding under the tractor seems like a reasonable strategy!

Archived