Why VBulletin now sucks

• Members

(from the recent move at talkbass.com away from VBulletin to XenForo - very smooth and trouble free BTW) :

"Vbulletin 3.6 reached its end-of-life years ago, and no patches are being developed for critical security holes found almost monthly. Vbulletin was acquired by Internet Brands several years ago, and they fired their top talent (the ones that made VBulletin 3). VBulletin 4 was a disaster and has just recently become usable... but now it's reaching its end-of-life replaced by VBulletin 5, which is a DISASTER of a piece of code. Big boards trying to use vbulletin 5 have met disastrous results."

:(

• Members

Yikes - http://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vbulletin.com

But then again, it seems about right. I've been hanging here since 2001. That's a long flippin' time and I think the forums have been problematic for more of that time than not. I don't know what's worse, the fact HC can't get a forum to work, or the fact I stay and complain about it .... sigh

• Members

Sometimes updates/upgrades are just plain necessary... for those security reasons mentioned, etc.

I'm not privy to what's going on behind the scenes here like Craig is, but anytime you "change" things on a forum from what people are used to... for the worse OR for the better (if the change is too dramatic)... it begins to feel like "work" to use it and you risk losing patrons/contributors/regulars. And when THEY go... what incentive is there for the newbies to join an all but dead forum with incomplete threads and little traffic aka little chance of getting an adequate answer to your Q?!? Not much...

I was able to log back in here after the switch unlike others that had to create new accounts... or who haven't come back at all. It's not working the way that I'd like it to, but it seems that people are making an effort to find it again... so I'm still in wait-and-see mode.

• CMS Author

Well, first, I'm not really behind the scenes or privy to very much. By way of example, I was told that the forum was changing to vB, but never told when, and was as surprised as everyone else when the site went dark last month. I've got "input" as far as passing along reported problems. What and how and whether things are fixed is not up to me at all.

The notes posted today state that vB wasn't responsive to HC's bug reports, so HC has begun implementing fixes. This doesn't bode well. But it does illustrate that unresponsive companies aren't really penalized for their lack of service or ability to deliver quality products and services. What I don't understand is why HC repeatedly puts itself in these situations, where they're contractually obligated to pay for subpar performance, and discovers too late that the company they contracted with can't deliver anything it promised, yet still gets paid. HC is apparently the 16th largest vB website, and the largest to implement vB 5. You'd think this would give them some swing, but no.

The good news is that issues are being addressed and fixed. The weird pagination issue (where every thread is one long page but displays the multi-page indicators) is fixed, and the speed issue is claimed to be fixed. Interesting to learn that the vB code was optimized for medium size sites, not large ones.

• Moderators
What I don't understand is why HC repeatedly puts itself in these situations' date=' where they're contractually obligated to pay for subpar performance, and discovers too late that the company they contracted with can't deliver anything it promised, yet still gets paid.[/quote']

Most people/companies are pretty crappy at what they do.

IME, smaller companies need to be very efficient and actually provide a good product w/good service to back it, or they'll fail.

At some point, they get to a certain size and everything changes. I was in a field that allowed me to have access as a subcontractor to Kodak, as they went from 63,000 employees to maybe 5,000, and I just couldn't believe the things that they would do strategically, and just plain waste thousands/millions of dollars on.

Anyone with a brain would look at these plans and say "WTF are you guys thinking?"

My wife has been navigating thru getting her Mom approved for Medicaid, which means liquidating and consolidating all of her assets, as well as providing detailed records of pretty much everything she's ever done in her 90 years. This has been a real eye-opener...

Even the simplest requests, like copies of the previous 5 years' bank statements, for which they're charging $200, are in the second or third request cycle. They just can't seem to get it right. This has been multiplied by the dozen or so places she's had to deal with, which have generally been anywhere from just barely competent, to probably criminal..,

If I ran my place like that, I'd be gone within 6 months.

MG

• Members

This is why I prefer to buy software that comes with source code whenever possible. I never find that outside vendors are sufficiently responsive to my needs. Of course, I have my own developers on staff, which helps a lot. But, basically, I don't trust anybody. Even hardware companies. I would rather buy spare hardware than gold-level support. And FWIW my uptime track record over the last 10+ years is nearly perfect. And I have never lost data.

How does "16th largest site" get measured? Number of posts in the database, or number of active users? Those are very different metrics, and I would be shocked to learn that HC is the 16th biggest in terms of active users. If it is number of posts in the database, then this could be modelled very well off-line in the development environment...

I can see why they wanted to buy vB5. I would have probably made the same choice, I don't want to buy into a stream that is going EOL soon. The big difference is that I would have tested the software before putting it online.

Wes

• CMS Author

wesg, it could be measured by hits per day too. Or a combination of the metrics you mentioned. Even when slow this site has a lot of traffic. It's always been one of the biggest challenges, and those here back in the day can remember outages and slow response on a regular basis. It's easy to get sucked into negativity, but the reality is that though there are still a lot of things to be fixed, the folks are working hard and are fixing things.

Archived