10mm x 1.5mm threaded bolt to 1 3/8 male pole adapter

• Members

Ladies and Gentlemen;

I want to screw into the fly point on the top of a speaker cab an adapter that at the other end is a 1 3/8 male end pole mount that goes into a top hat. I made one in the past that allowed me to mount a platform on which I put a small/light bass amp; it works great but the one I built uses 1 1/2 pole mount and for the application I have in mind I need 1 3/8. I saw a commercial one available some time ago, and want to buy a couple, but I am not googling the right terms. Ideas?

Best,

Paul K

• Members

What exactly are you trying to do? There are many ways to skin a cat...

It may be easier installing a tophat on the top of the speaker and inserting the pole into it. This is what they do with some subs, that way you don't have something sticking out of your speaker.

• Members

Well, here's what I want to do. For my solo act I use a pair of columns with quartet of 4 1/2 inch speakers in each arrayed in a vertical column. I stack them with a top hat that I put in the top of one of the speakers, and a short 1 3/8 piece of plastic pipe to keep it from falling over. I was putting this on top of an old heavy duty music stand. It works well and is a good height. But I ended up adding another cabinet with a 12 and a tweeter to it: the 12" deepens the sound just right. I want to ditch the extra stand and put the two 4 x 4.5 cabs on top of the PA cab. It's be a good height, and will be stable enough since there's no mosh pit for these gigs. And it'll make my footprint smaller and less obtrusive for the winery/fancy club things that I do. I can't just put a top hat into the top of the 12" PA cab because it's a plastic cab instead of wood. The fly point is right in the middle of the top of the cab, and should do the trick. I'll make my little adapter if I need to: Plastic drain pipe, 10mm bolt, epoxy and maybe a wood dowel inside the plastic pipe. But it's a pain in the ass. I've seen the adapters that go on a mic stand that'll hold a small speaker/personal monitor---maybe a trip to Lowes to see if I can construct a mic stand thread male to 10mm male adapter.

Mike: the 1 3/8 Inner diameter is a deal killer since I'd need another adapter: I don't want to raise the speakers up; I want them to sit right on top of one another.

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody made this little gizmo; demand is limited to.....me.

Peace

Paul K

• Members

So all you need is a locating pin. Get about 2"/50mm of 1 3/8" (or 35mm wooden dowel), with an 11mm (7/16") thru hole for clearance, countersunk for a flathead bolt, or counterbored for an M10 socket head cap screw. 1 1/4" dowel (easy to find) for a loose fit, a wrap or two of gaff tape for a snug fit. Easy. Carry the right size Allen wrench and you're in business. Mark C.

Archived