Can anyone bless this setup?

• Members

Alright, my plan is the following:

Peavey 8600D powering two EV ELX115's, amp rated at 500 per channel (speakers rated at 400 watts cont.), feeding that post eq into a QSC GX5 powering two EV ELX118's, amp rated at 600 per channel (same 400 cont. for subs). Does this seem legit? Any recommendations or configuration changes?

• Members

So you started out one way with a GX-5 in crossover mode but now you end up with something totally different.

Totally the wrong tool for the job, no crossover wrong signal routing, etc.

You really need an UNpowered mixer and either 1 or 2 of the GX-5's (depending on if you want stereo or mono) using the crossover in the GX-5. The crossover includes both the low pass (sub) out and the high pass (tops out).

Otherwise, you would need to add an external crossover.

• Members

I am sorry agedhorse, originally I was expecting to buy an additional amp prior to powering the speakers and subs I intent to. I already own a peavey 8600D and GX5. I am wondering if it would suffice. As far as the wrong tool for the job, wouldn't the post eq from the powered mixer be the same basis that the passive mixer you recommend? This is a direct line output post eq mix from the peavey going to the input of the GX5. I appreciate your patience.... in a year or two I promise you I will not be this lost.

• CMS Author

Yeah, you need a separate crossover, the 8600 has none, so the full-range output from its power amps is unsuitable for mid-highs (ELX-115) or subs (ELX118).

You could run the main output from the 8600 into a crossover. The high outputs from the crossover back to the Amp1 and Amp2 inputs in the 8600, and the speaker outputs to the ELX115's. The low outputs from the crossover to the GX5's inputs (NOT in crossover mode) and the GX5's outputs to the ELX118's.

I wouldn't go this route, as it's convoluted and really easy to confuse whoever is using it.

• Members

I'm not clear on your proposed hookup You CAN take a mixer out from the 8600 into the Gx5 and use it to drive both your tops and subs using the builtin xover. This will be a mono setup. The amps in the 8600 will be unused (maybe you can use them for monitors).

• Members
And to Audiopyle sound' date=' do I need a separate crossover from the one that is in the QSC amp? [/quote']

Yes, because the GX amps can only filter highs on one channel and lows on the second, as others have noted. And the routing would have to be as Craig described above, line level out of your mixer to the crossover, then highs back into the amp inputs of the powered mixer.

• Members

Thanks for the advice guys... i'm gonna do it right off the bat rather than be in a similar situation later down the road. Selling the powered mixer and current speaker set-up (JBL JRX115's and Yamaha club 12's), picking up the EV ELX tops/subs, and buying a new mixer. Power it with a GX5 and possibly pickup a GX7 at some point and use the GX5 for monitors only. Any recommendations for a decent passive mixer? I'm thinking something with at least 12 channels.

• Members

You can relegate the box mixer and JRX/Clubs to the practice room... would make a decent tool for that job. Where are you located?

EDIT: Unless you're using keys w/ stereo patches or a drum kit that you just HAVE to mic up with a stereo image OR are playing stereo backing tracks or background music... you can run mono just fine, and many people do.

• Members

That's why I ask... I'm a Craigslist hound and hate buying new (although for certain items it's necessary... for the warranty on unproven gear or to avoid counterfeit mics, etc.) but in your area I'd be really reluctant to buy used gear anyway. A lot of gear hit the trash heap after Katrina so it's just plain difficult to find decent deals used (elevated pricing for what decent stuff DOES find its way to the used market)... PLUS there's a good chance that you might get something that SHOULD have been scrapped after water damage that is still "floating around" used.

I've got a nice 24ch. Yamaha for sale here (Midwest) cheap, but I'm sure that the shipping would kill the deal for you.

• Members

Where in the Midwest? I'm originally from Illinois and my wife is from Kansas, we are going to make a trip up there in a couple weeks. Lately I have been more interested in buying new, mostly for the warranty and to know everywhere and everything the equipment has been through.

• Members
I'm not clear on your proposed hookup You CAN take a mixer out from the 8600 into the Gx5 and use it to drive both your tops and subs using the builtin xover. This will be a mono setup. The amps in the 8600 will be unused (maybe you can use them for monitors).

+1. It seems he is all set for a modest system with tops, subs and a single monitor mix. There's a lot of great advice here, but why are some folks so quick to dismiss perfectly usable solutions?

• Members

RoyMcQ... I think that option is what I will do until I can buy a nicer passive mixer. My only question with that set up, (mixer output to GX5 to use the built in crossover for tops and subs)...is the mixer output will only be going into the channel 1 input on the GX5, this wouldn't utilize both the amps would it? I am unsure how much power I am supplying to each pair of speakers at that point. I do believe I would need the full 700 watts per side to adequately power this setup without blowing my amp up. Anyone have an answer?

• Members

http://qsc.com/files/9713/4625/5907/QSC_GX_Series_User_Manual_All_revD.pdf.pdf

Page 6.

When using CROSSOVER mode, connect signal to CH 1 only (like monthlymixcd said)

Page 9 is first graphic is your setup except you would daisy chain (parallel connection) two subs to channel 1

Tops you would daisy chain (parallel connection) to channel 2.

This is assuming two things. A. you are running mono (live band) B. the speakers are all 8 ohm (when in parallel they go down to 4 ohm) so 700 watts from the amp. (I didn't look up specs on those speakers)

Whether it's enough? I look at it this way you already own on GX5 why spend more than you have to? I like to have more overhead than what the speakers are rated for but at same time 350 QSC watts should help to not improve your hearing. If you use it and it just won't cut it, fine, upgrade to a GX7 but I think you may be surprised...

I think the speakers will blow way before the amp does, it's a QSC, "technically" on paper your unpowering a tad, however, I think you would have to be pretty un responsible to blow those speakers up with the GX5, i.e., distorting them beyond recognition.

Archived