Jesse Winchester; R.I.P.

• Members

I can't believe I'm writing this; Jesse Winchester died this morning at age '69, following his recent illness (cancer of the esophagus).

Jesse Winchester was, and always will be, one of the greatest singer-song-writers I've ever heard. I've been listening to Jesse, and playing his songs, since the early 70's. Sad news,,,,

• Members

Some of my favorite Jesse tunes,,,, tunes that I've literally performed 1000 times or more, include Mississippi You're On my Mind, and Isn't That So. Other great songs included Defying Gravity,,,, Rhumba Man,,,, Third Rate Romance,,,, L'Aire de la Louisianne,,,,,,I could go on forever.

Here's Jesse on Elvis Costello's show ,Spectacle;

and here, performing his song Rhumba Man, with Jimmy Buffet;

Defying Gravity;

Isn't That So;

One of my favourites. L'Aire de la Louisianne;

Yankee Lady;

Jesse just had a natural gift for relating to his audience;

• Members

Yep, he will be missed for sure...thought it was bladder cancer? Had the luxury of working with him many times over the years, probably would have been a huge hit if they would have let him into the US to tour....

• Members
Yep' date=' he will be missed for sure...thought it was bladder cancer? Had the luxury of working with him many times over the years, probably would have been a huge hit if they would have let him into the US to tour....[/quote']

What's interesting about Jesse, is that he was granted amnesty during the Carter presidency, but, he didn't want to go back. He liked it here, and chose to live here. In fact, two of his albums are titled "Third Down, 110 To Go", which is a reference to Canadian football, and,,,, his album titled "Learn to Love It", was punctuated with a tiny Fleurs-de-Lys, the Quebec Provincial flower, instead of a "period", after the word "It". In other words, learn to love your new home, in Quebec.

Back in the late 60's, Jesse lived just a few miles from here, in the foothills of the Laurentian mountains. (Morin Heights). Later, he moved to the West Island of Montreal.

I went to an Eagles concert once, in Montreal. They did a few songs, then there was a pause in the show. The stage-lights went down, except for a single follow-spot on Glenn Frey, and then, a single red spot-light shone down from the ceiling, on somebody standing just next to the floor-seat section. That "somebody", was Jesse Winchester. Glenn then started talking directly to Jesse. You could have heard a pin drop in that 16,000 seat arena. President Carter had just granted amnesty to the draft-dodgers, and Glenn wanted Jesse to "come home", but, he also knew Jesse had already made up his mind to stay. Glenn then dedicated the next song to Jesse Winchester,,,, and that song was "Desperado". It was a very poignant moment that I'll never forget. Jesse was "one of us", and the crowd gave Jesse a standing ovation.

• Members

I worked with Jesse quite a few times in the early 80's, he was another great singer-songwriter that lived his own convictions, much like Woodie Gutherie, and suffered at the hands of those with different convictions. He played many of the same festivals and venues that the act I mixed FOH for played between 1981 and 1986, it really was a different time. the Vietnam war was still quite fresh in the minds of the American public, there were vets returning with illnesses that were later associated with agent orange. The music scene was fresh with rebellion, I was lucky to be working the circuit with folks like Country Joe and the Fish, Utah Phillips, Arlo Gutherie, Mary Travers, The Youngbloods, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, The Kingston Trio, Kate Wolf, Barry McGuire, Tom Paxton, Wavy Gravy, etc. It was an interestig and enlightning time, a strange trip indeed.

He lived in the US after the amnisty and did tour through the 90's and likely well beyond.

• Members

Well, the forum software clearly sucks enough that I can't post a photo or successfully edit a previous post, or upload a photo to my album, or pretty much everything that a normal, healthy software package would allow. This is a perfect example of prefering simplicity but accurate execution over empty vaporwarre promises. Nothing works the same way twice it seems. Has anybody successfully attached (not linked) a photo yet?

Really, this is so junior high. Everybody notice now WHY it's important to be able to deliver what you "promise"? The rule of a successful product introduction is to under-promise and over-deliver. HC has broken this rule again and again and the traffic to the site has suffered about as much as the traffic to their stores...

• Members
Back to the original topic....thanks for the additional info guys' date=' I was not aware he was allowed back in.[/quote']

I believe he'd been performing in the U.S. again, since 1977, just after the amnesty was granted. Apparently, Jimmy Carter had granted amnesty to all conscientious objectors EXCEPT for deserters, or those who had become citizens of other countries. Jesse had become a Canadian citizen in 1973. Apparently, Carter was then approached by certain people, who convinced him to make an exception in Jesse's case.('77)

Jesse continued to live here in Quebec, and although he reportedly "moved" to Virginia in 2002, my understanding is he still has a home just west of Montreal.(Hudson/St.Lazare???)

Interesting note; It was The Band's own Robbie Robertson who got Jesse started recording back in the late 60's. The first band Jesse played in, after he arrived here in Quebec in '67, was a group called "Les Astronautes" (The Astronauts), and later he formed the Rhythm Aces, and eventually the Incredible Rhythm Aces.

• Members
I worked with Jesse quite a few times in the early 80's' date=' [b']he was another great singer-songwriter that lived his own convictions[/b], much like Woodie Gutherie, and suffered at the hands of those with different convictions. He played many of the same festivals and venues that the act I mixed FOH for played between 1981 and 1986, it really was a different time. the Vietnam war was still quite fresh in the minds of the American public, there were vets returning with illnesses that were later associated with agent orange. The music scene was fresh with rebellion, I was lucky to be working the circuit with folks like Country Joe and the Fish, Utah Phillips, Arlo Gutherie, Mary Travers, The Youngbloods, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, The Kingston Trio, Kate Wolf, Barry McGuire, Tom Paxton, Wavy Gravy, etc. It was an interestig and enlightning time, a strange trip indeed.

He lived in the US after the amnisty and did tour through the 90's and likely well beyond.

Very well put Andy. Jesse seemed to be a deeply spiritual individual, which was often revealed in his song lyrics. The song "Isn't That So" is a great example.

• Members
--snip--

Really, this is so junior high. Everybody notice now WHY it's important to be able to deliver what you "promise"? The rule of a successful product introduction is to under-promise and over-deliver. HC has broken this rule again and again and the traffic to the site has suffered about as much as the traffic to their stores...

Excellent analogy sir. Very unfortunate indeed. I can understand if it took a while to parse through all the old posts to migrate them into the new/old platform but basic functionality is still flakey and hardly getting better. I know I don't directly pay for this service and have tried to remain patient but... And just for the record, I for one totally understand the importance of reputation and doing absolutely everything possible to make sure promises are kept -- my day job lives and (or) dies by that reality.

Archived