Should I attempt to repair Mixwiz mz3 16:2 myself?

• Members

I just purchased a qu-16. Love it. I will sell my Mixwiz mz3 16:2. But it needs repair first. The little metal clamps (that grip the Tip) for TRS inputs for 3 channels have apparently broken off, so that those channel inputs don't work for just the TRS (XLRs work fine).

I suspect that the fix for this might involve replacing the entire input board. (or am I wrong---could the TRS inputs just for those channels be replaced?).

Looking at that input PCB, it doesn't look like an impossible job for me to replace the input pcb myself.

Anyway, before I take this to a service center, I thought I would ask if any of you have experience with this kind of repair? I fear that the repair bill from a service center is likely to cost at least half of what the mixer is worth, given the flooding of analogue mixers on the used market.

A search doesn't reveal an obvious place to get this exact part.

Barry

• Members

Broken connector? I'm pretty sure that if you're decent with a soldering iron, you can probably fix it. I'm of the opinion that there are badly designed or constructed 1/4" phone plugs that can damage TRS connections. I've taken to a very gentle pull while twisting to ensure I don't bend things. (Like on my DL1608 mixer.) One would think that after 125+ years of phone plugs, they ought to be consistent. (They're not.)

• Members

I'm not a newbie to sound, but I had to register with a new account.on HC because of a catch-22 involving passwords and an expired email address. I am a relative newbie in repairs. I live in Auburn, CA, but frequently travel to L.A., so I can have it sold or repaired virtually anywhere from Sacramento to LA.

• Members

Do you have a digital (or analog) feedback soldering iron?

If you don't know what this is, then you would likely be better off not trying to do this yourself.

If you have one, or know someone who does and have done soldering work before, you have a fighting chance.

I already sold my MixWiz, so I am guessing here. I suspect that the leads for the 1/4" jack are hard soldered into the PCB. I further suspect that the PCB is connected to the main board through a ribbon connector that is likely either locked or hot glued (or both) into place. If you don't have experience getting these things lose, you could damage it getting it out (in fact, that might even happen to someone who is experienced). The difference in an experienced person doing it is that most of us could easily just make another one if we damaged the original.

I only did work on my MixWiz main board, not the plug-in PCB, so I don't know exactly how it is wired up.

• Members

Soldered on connectors. if you don't know what you are doing, you can ruin those PCBs. It will cost more to replace the PCBs than the mixer is worth. No tecg would replace the PCBs, they would properly repair them by replacing the jacks (if that's really what's wrong).

Archived