OT - Subscribing to threads

• Members

OK.... I give up. I've been trying to subscribe to threads for a month now and it only worked for about 2 days at the very beginning of this latest Dante's circle of forums. Is there a secret to being alerted when someone posts to a thread you're supposedly subscribed to?

FWIW... other issues

- I reset my password last night and it didn't take.

- The survey at the top of the forum took 4 attempts to complete

- Sometimes when I try to edit an entry before submitting the cursor refuses to go into past text I've typed. I'll put it where I want to start editing, but when I type the cursor moves itself to the end of the entry.

• Members

This is a good example of why engineers do not like the grand promises that marketing folks (and software folk, and architects, and politicians) make with little real intent or capacity to follow through with such promises. If my products worked like this, I would be out of business.

• Members
This is a good example of why engineers do not like the grand promises that marketing folks (and software folk, and architects, and politicians) make with little real intent or capacity to follow through with such promises. If my products worked like this, I would be out of business.

OK, but that doesn't really help me. Are you getting notices from subscribed posts? I'm trying to figure out if it's broken entirely, if I'm an idiot for not figuring it out, or something in between.

• CMS Author

No, it should work no matter whether you started the thread or not. Just another item on the "doesn't work" list. I can't be sure whether I'm more frustrated, disappointed, dejected, or angry about how this migration is turning out. I do know that I'm not happy with this. Every time I report a problem, I get "it's not happening for me" as the reply. Okay, so then remote to my machine and try what I'm reporting. Not once has this been suggested. Grrr...

• Members
No, it should work no matter whether you started the thread or not. Just another item on the "doesn't work" list. I can't be sure whether I'm more frustrated, disappointed, dejected, or angry about how this migration is turning out. I do know that I'm not happy with this. Every time I report a problem, I get "it's not happening for me" as the reply. Okay, so then remote to my machine and try what I'm reporting. Not once has this been suggested. Grrr...

Add this to your list. I saw your reply in my email, but only part of it. See below:

Here is the message that has been posted:

No, it should work no matter whether you started the thread or not. Just another item on the "doesn't work" list. I can't be sure whether I'm more

That's all I got.

• CMS Author

Add this to your list. I saw your reply in my email, but only part of it. See below:

Here is the message that has been posted:

No, it should work no matter whether you started the thread or not. Just another item on the "doesn't work" list. I can't be sure whether I'm more

That's all I got.

I haven't seen subscriptions in the vB version, could be the emails only show a "preview" of the post. But my money's on it being broken...that's the safer bet...;-)

• Members

I use Google Chrome exclusively. It has the same issues on:

Mac 10.6

Mac Mavericks

PC Windows 7

PC Windows 8.1

So it would seem its definitely a forum issue. It's also random. Like right now I can reposition my cursor within the text box and type, but more than 1/2 the time I can't.

• Members

Oddly enough, the forum is working perfectly for me (Firefox on a PC and laptops).

I must admit that figuring out how to change your sig is kind of obscure (it's a tiny Edit Signature link on your profile) but I'm having no problems at all now.

• Members

OK, but that doesn't really help me. Are you getting notices from subscribed posts? I'm trying to figure out if it's broken entirely, if I'm an idiot for not figuring it out, or something in between.

I was not receiving notifications, but haven't posted in a while to notice if that's changed yet. (I'll maybe be able to tell, with this thread.)

In general, the whole idea of using "My Subscriptions" to review threads I've posted in... isn't working. I asked about it in Drums several days ago, feedback was that it's on the list of stuff to fix. Or enable. Or whatever...

Edit: Hmmm... I see signature info is hosed, now...

-D44

• Members

It's just incredible really. There are thousands of perfectly functioning forums, yet I think we're on the better part of 10 years now with some sort of cobbled together crapfest and the 3rd or 4th overhaul attempt.

Apparently if you start the thread you can be alerted. Maybe I'll just start 10 threads and call them "Put content here so I know about it" sm-wink

• Members

I actually had to go in and turn off the "Notify me every time someone replies to a thread I started" option but I see no indication on that "User settings" page how to treat subscribed threads. I just subscribed to this one so I'll see what happens.

• Members
Whenever I try to edit a post, I now lose the entire post. The previous post just evaporates so I can't edit, I can just start again. This is fairly recent, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Happened to me this morning. I'm used to testing for stability in amplifiers, but clearly this forum software/application needs more stability testing.

• Members

I was not receiving notifications, but haven't posted in a while to notice if that's changed yet. (I'll maybe be able to tell, with this thread.)

In general, the whole idea of using "My Subscriptions" to review threads I've posted in... isn't working. I asked about it in Drums several days ago, feedback was that it's on the list of stuff to fix. Or enable. Or whatever...

Edit: Hmmm... I see signature info is hosed, now...

-D44

So several posts later... I got nothing, nada, squat for notifications. And when I try the "My Subscriptions" tab, all I get is a notice about not being subscribed to any threads, and a list of users who happen to be on-line at the time.

-D44

• CMS Author

I'm subscribed to this thread, and have been seeing notifications that show up in the "Messages" alert at the top right of every page, and list the thread when you go to "subscriptions" in the list of stuff under "messages". I'm not sure if I should be getting email alerts, but that's probably a setting I haven't found or looked very hard to find...there's so much else wrong.

I'll check to see if I've got the post editing disappearance problem.

Regarding how bad it is; I keep in mind that they had to pirate the forum from Lithium due to the contract restraints. But since they're contractually bound to pay Lithium for another year, they should go back to the Lithium site and run both so we can hammer at this one and use the Lithium site to actually conduct our forum business. They can't do anything about that...if they want to get paid, they have to support their site for the remaining year. I don't know...there's got to be something better than what's going on now.

• CMS Author

Testing the editing problem. Disregard this post.

Edit 1: Adding this sentence to test the editing problem.

Edit 2: Seems to be working okay for me. I'm in Win 7 on IE11.

Edit 3: Will try to Preview my edited post before posting it up.

Edit 4: That works too. I can't think of any other permutation of the edit function to test. Seems okay on my system (which means nothing if it's still not working on yours. Let me know...I'm subscribed to this thread).

Edit 5: Sorry, forgot to add that I'll mention this problem in the Office in case others are reporting it.

Archived