Powered Mixer for Small Clubs

• Members

My A rig is spending a lot of time in my garage and one of the clubs we play at has a house speaker system Behringer B215xl's), but they leave it up to the bands to bring the front end. It is a tiny, tiny stage and up till now, I've been bringing a Yamaha O1v in a road case with a borrowed power amp. This is an ideal situation for a powered mixer HEAD due to space limitations. I really need a powered head that will sit on a milk crate and my little 1-12 combo amp will sit on it. 8 channels is more than enough and I'd like on board DSP and graphic eq's and I'd like as much real power as I can get just because. So what are the opinions on the offerings from Peavey, Mackie and Yamaha?

Yamaha has the 512SC which has comp's on the first 4 channels

Peavey has the XR8600D

Mackie has the PPM series

Anything else I should be looking at?

• Members

I have the Peavey XR8600D. I,m happy with it. I use it to run (2) Yamaha 15" club series mains, and (2) Yamaha 12" club series monitors. If you want to run a sub with it get a powered sub with built in crossover.

• Members

I have the Yamaha EMX 512SC. I use it with two NX35s. It is a workhorse. I've easily played a couple hundred gigs with it, in all kinds of configurations, and it has never failed me or let me down. I'm actually upgrading and about to sell it.

• Members

As far as I am concerned, the Peavey XR series are the gold standard in both feature set and reliability in lunchbox mixers. Yamaha EMs would be the closest second. Pretty much anything else would go unmentioned.

• Members

Doesn't sound like you live in Canada or you would already have considered Yorkville. The M810 and M1610 are great box mixers. They are very road worthy as well. Yorkville's parent company L&M rents them, so reliability is crucial. Easy to use and set up. They also rack mount with the optional ears. http://yorkville.com/mixers/micromix/product/m810-2/

Archived