Availability

• Members

Hello, anyone knows when the x18 or the touchmix will be available for sale? I've sold my sx3242fx mixing console to get one of the digital x32, but I've better wait for the touchmix or the x18, also looking forward for the Umix 24 channels as well, but nobody says when it would be available.... Any news anyone? Thanks

• Members

Thanks Wynnd for your response, I think I still waiting for them to appear, besides when either of the x18 and the touchmix would appear the Mackie would have to drop the price down too and some other, you are right also telling me to wait for a review , and yes, how long does this Vaporware still be in offer?

• CMS Author

I'd move on. There's no good to come out of letting companies continue to be rewarded with our business after they pull antics like announcing a product that doesn't even exist in prototype, just to see if it gets a response they deem worthy of actually building the thing.

It's not as if there's a shortage of good mixers available in stock and ready to ship.

• Members
Yeah, you are right Craig, maybe the Dl1608 is the one, but still looking for the x32, and no ETA for the Touchmix either...
The X32 Rack might be the one to get over the DL1608 these days. IMO the app is more "console like" than the DL1608's but the DL1608's is more iDevice standard what with it's swiping although it is possible to set it up to avoid most swiping. I don't really like swiping as I think it slows things down, YMMV.

• CMS Author
I'll be interested in hearing your impressions of the Line 6 unit. Very innovative and forward thinking. Not sure it would work for me or most others here but still very intriguing out-of-the-box thinking.

So far it's a really interesting approach to the interface. I'm having all the (now usual and expected) "how the hell do I do this" moments, but I really like the concept of setting up by looking at an empty stage and filling it with performers and instruments. If I had one wish at this time, it would be for a much larger screen. The box is large enough that the space around the screen is rather barren...it shouldn't be too hard to take up that real estate with a screen twice that of the present one.

The auto-sensing feature is really cool. Plug in an input, and the mixer knows what you did there. Select what it is, and move it around the display's stage to where it's physically located. Rename it, set it up manually or using the auto-trim (so far it seems to under trim everything) and you're ready to go. You can then tweak it with processing as needed.

The L6 link is something to explore more, but it auto-senses the type of Line 6 speaker plugged in, and lets you select what it's being used for. I haven't gone there yet, but it should be feasible to link all the speakers in any order that's physically logical for cabling, and the system will then let you tell it what each one is....sub, mid-high right, floor monitor, etc. From a load-in standpoint, this is freakin' awesome.

• Members
I'll be interested in hearing your impressions of the Line 6 unit. Very innovative and forward thinking. Not sure it would work for me or most others here but still very intriguing out-of-the-box thinking.

We just got one of these for the new band studio. Took a lot of agonizing to decide on it, but once I downloaded the PDF manuals, the more I saw the more I liked.

The downside is that four of the 16 main inputs are TRS line level only. Since we're replicating a full stage setup with DIs, fully miced drums, miced amps, and so on, that means we need four preamp channels to feed into those. My conclusion was that it was worth it, and for our situation the usability and interface of the Line6 unit, and the onboard recording capabilties, were worth the extra effort.

The drummer and I know can work a regular board well enough, but we'll also be hosting jams and maybe other bands too, so the flexibility and apparent ease of getting a "good-enough" sound quickly and intuitively was a big factor.

We're not using the L6 link -- fascinating as it seems -- mostly because the cost would be too high. Instead we're using DUS 12" from Audiopile for monitors, and QSC K12 for PA. (We're not likely to need to provide our own PA for actual shows, so it only has to cover our own room and simulate stage for rehearsals.)

It's not powered up yet, mind you, so I can't say how it will work in practice. I'm still waiting for the electrician to come in and fix the circuit and/or outlets before I plug anything in.

• Members

Yea Iamthesky, if I remember your electrical issues from a few weeks back waiting for the electrician would be a good investment. As I noted above, I'll be very interested in hearing your impressions as well once you get things running.

• Members
The downside is that four of the 16 main inputs are TRS line level only. Since we're replicating a full stage setup with DIs, fully miced drums, miced amps, and so on, that means we need four preamp channels to feed into those.
If I remember correctly those are sensitive enough for sources like kick mic, guitar amp mics, keys and some bass amp direct outs. I'd try those before investing in preamps :) .

• CMS Author

If I remember correctly those are sensitive enough for sources like kick mic, guitar amp mics, keys and some bass amp direct outs. I'd try those before investing in preamps :) .

I need to do more work with this mixer, but so far the autosensing doesn't let you choose the "wrong" input type. In other words, you can't choose a mic as the input in the line jacks. BUT I'll repeat that I haven't looked for an override, etc. to allow this.

• Members
BUT I'll repeat that I haven't looked for an override, etc. to allow this.
I was told you can override everything on this mixer. My #1 turnoff is the video game UI - I was told you can even turn that carp off and use it as a real he-man mixer ;) .

• CMS Author

I was told you can override everything on this mixer. My #1 turnoff is the video game UI - I was told you can even turn that carp off and use it as a real he-man mixer ;) .

I'm confident enough in my masculinity to work with a setup wizard intended for those who don't understand mixing but still need to get a job done. very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

Archived