Community RS220

• Members

Back in the late 90s, I was looking for PA speakers and went to guitar center or something like it to side by side compare speakers. The Community speakers back then were about 10 db quieter on the same amp with the same music than JBL's TR225s. (Not one of JBLs best speakers.) I wasn't impressed then, and I haven't seen a reason to think they've changed since. I hope I'm wrong because if they haven't changed, they need about 10 times the amp to make the same amount of sound. (Assuming they will actually handle that much power without frying.)

• Members
Back in the late 90s' date=' I was looking for PA speakers and went to guitar center or something like it to side by side compare speakers. The Community speakers back then were about 10 db quieter on the same amp with the same music than JBL's TR225s. (Not one of JBLs best speakers.) I wasn't impressed then, and I haven't seen a reason to think they've changed since. I hope I'm wrong because if they haven't changed, they need about 10 times the amp to make the same amount of sound. (Assuming they will actually handle that much power without frying.) [/quote']

I looked up the specs. Sensativity of 102 from 85 to 18k isn't too bad at all. The respondse chart on the other hand looked rather mountainous :-). They start to roll off seriously at 150hz so unless you were just doing vocal projection, a sub would be in order. Baltic birch pole or fly rated looks fairly well built. They might not be a bad box if the price is right. Here's the link:

http://www.communitypro.com/files/literature/spec%20sheets/discontinued/RS220.pdf?phpMyAdmin=c9cc5b3953d87385dc22218d669e7aab

• Members

I Have the SLS 920 the newer version of these. i would make sure these are the version loaded with the VHF-100, there is a earlier version loaded with a I think a VH-2 ( essentially a eminence 1")

The older version 1" I have been told did not keep up with the rest of the box.

I have a set of 6 of these running 3 per side. You have to cross them up higher into 150 hz and they need a processor ( 5 parametric cuts/boosts) but they don't need or really benefit from being a biamped box I also have a set of the RS220

I really like this box, it is the loudest smallest box you can pretty much get. but you do need a subwoofer ( these are dual 8" and comparing them to a JBL dual 15" TR box isnt a good comparison its like comparing a apple to a orange not a apple to a apple

Regardless $500 for the pair is a good deal. these are still a current community product so you should be fine with parts.

• Members

Loudest smallest box until you compare with somethng like the SRX-712, and you don't need to cross at 150Hz, they are lighteweight and they are about twice or 3 times the speaker. Yes, they are more expensive. There's also the older SR 4700 series which is also a good performer at less than 1/2 the cost used. Same goes for the EAW JF series, etc.

• Members
Back in the late 90s' date=' I was looking for PA speakers and went to guitar center or something like it to side by side compare speakers. The Community speakers back then were about 10 db quieter on the same amp with the same music than JBL's TR225s. (Not one of JBLs best speakers.) I wasn't impressed then, and I haven't seen a reason to think they've changed since. I hope I'm wrong because if they haven't changed, they need about 10 times the amp to make the same amount of sound. (Assuming they will actually handle that much power without frying.) [/quote']

I am inclined to call bull**************** on this. I can't think of any common live sound speaker 10db quieter than an equivalent TR225 -- unless we are talking about an 8 ohm speaker A/B'd the 4 ohm TR. Even at that, I wouldn't expect more than 4-5db of gap.

10db would put them in the efficiency range of common small home/computer speakers, which would pretty much preclude them from live use.

• Members
Can someone enlighten me as what those large dia holes are on each side of the horns in the pics AM Productions posted? Dispersion breakup of some kind?

Hey Pro Sound Guy. As far as I know, they are ports for the LF section. I may be wrong, but those are the only ports on the box, so...

Archived