The new micro PA up for a private party.

• Members

The tops are yamaha DXR 8s and the sub is an EV ZXA1. Total weight of the tops and a sub is about 110 pounds (30 + 30 + 50). Once you set the HPF at 100hz those 8s will actually get pretty darn loud at least as loud I will ever need maybe down the road I will pick up a companion sub if I find I need more bottom. In regards to the lasers my understanding is these ADJ micro units dont require a variance. Internally they are 3bs (which require a variance) but are rated as 3rs because the beam is split many many times. In the micro galaxian there must be 300 plus beams coming out of it. Actually in person it actually looks better because there is a blue micro galaxian, a micro star, green and red micro galaxian and ADJ jellydome layering effect. I had seen youtube where someone had done something similar. The customer was very happy!

• Members

Those ZXA1 subs aren't 50 pounds! (They're 47) I'm running all ZXA1s, two subs and two satellites. Less than 150 pounds for the speakers and amps total. I love having a PA that actually fits in the trunk of most mid-sized sedans. Unfortunately, my keyboards require at least a station wagon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
There was a review of that McCauley 4 x 21 isobaric sub over on the PSW forum. It didn't quite live up to the billed specs. For example whilst advertising it as going down solid to 20Hz, the manufacturer recommended processor settings advised using a harsh eighth order 25Hz hi pass. However as I recall even the manufacturer's processor settings were not sufficient to make them sound good. I think a representative of the co actually posted some justification about the dubious specs by referencing his opinion that SRX728s could only go as deep as 50Hz at full output, contrary to the published -3dB spec. Unfortunately the review seems to have gone since PSW was reorganised, but may be archived somewhere if anyone is interested. I'd definitely recommend looking for it if anyone is interested in those big subs, as there was a lot of valuable info in that thread.

• Members
Your comment about the srx-728 is inaccurate. Using the continuous rating' date=' the speaker will indeed perform to [/quote']Yah, anybody who's ever heard them (or even the 718's) personally knows that 50Hz spec is BS - unless you're powering them at peak (6400wrms) or beyond in which case yes, they'll fail mechanically unless you roll the HPF up - and preferably have an RMS limiter set at ~1200w to prevent thermal failure. And yes, there are really folks out there doing crazy carp like that out there (especially on the aforementioned PSW forums sm-frustrated). Those folks rotate out their subs yearly as the suspensions start to get shot about then.

OTOH I maintain there isn't any need to go lower with a regular rock band - none of my subs go much below 50Hz. I do have MaxxBass units but rarely use them with my subs. None of my bass cabs go any lower either, whether my two 2x12's or two 8x10's :cool:.

• Members

My two cents. Here are the specs off of IMO the holy grail of bass player bass cabs. (with matching ampeg tube amp of course) SVT 8x10 notice its off -3 at 58Hz! down -10 at 40Hz. So if this is the cabinet they are micing its effectively rolling everything off anyway. I think those super low subs are for theatre effects and maybe some hip hop type shows.

LF Drivers: 8 x 10”

Voice Coil: 2”

Magnet Weight (each): 30 oz

RMS Power Handling: 2 x 400-Watts (Stereo)

RMS Power Handling: 800-Watts (Mono)

Frequency Response (-3dB): 58Hz-5kHz

Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40Hz

Nominal Impedance: 2 x 8-Ohms (Stereo)

Nominal Impedance: 4-Ohms (Mono)

Sensitivity: 100dB

Maximum SPL: 130dB

Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 26 x 48 x 16

Shipping Weight: 165 Pounds

Handling Weight: 140 Pounds

• Members

The SVT cabinet is voiced for a specific tone, it is not a suitable bass cabinet for some bass styles and certainly would not fare well on kick drum. Bad example. Ampeg has cabinets with more extended low end for styles that need it.

Yes, there are indeed applications the need flat (or -3dB) response down into the mid to low 30's, some keys, some 5 string basses with some music styles, EDM, etc.

• Members
Yes' date=' there are indeed applications the need flat (or -3dB) response down into the mid to low 30's, some keys, some 5 string basses with some music styles, EDM, etc.[/quote']Absolutely - but many (most?) of us here do classic rock and other styles that just don't need that. OTOH I know of a local bringing in a 4 x XLF rig into a venue I did with a pair of PR-Subs LOL.

• Members

Yes I see your point Andy,. I guess what I would like to point out is that most bass guitar rigs start rolling off way before the low B. In fact I had a fender 5 string and sold it because I found I was more comfortable tuning another bass down to D when I needed it. Really the 5 strings main advantage is to allow you to play in a closed position in keys you cant on a 4 string! That said I looked up the ampeg neo pro series and while the 4 x 10 goes to 38Hz and the 1x 15 goes to 28Hz they dont mention how much they drop off near that level my guess is probably around -10db. Yes keyboards can go lower but I guess my point is how much is a low B I think 33Hz used in typical none EDM? Rock, Country etc? I really have no experience with PRO tours but I did play bass and always tried to look at the equipment the PRO's used.

• Members
Your comment about the srx-728 is inaccurate. Using the continuous rating' date=' the speaker will indeed perform to <40Hz at -3dB with suitable processing.[/quote'] Sorry I wasn't clear in my meaning - I only meant that it was an argument made by another person, to justify the fact the specs and measured or processing-derived figures didn't match up on the other sub. I have not measured any SRX subs and have no reason to disbelieve the -3dB spec, they certainly sounded nice and deep when I've heard them, and their popularity speaks for itself. Also apologies - got my sound forums mixed up, I meant Bennett's review on SF.net.

• Members

With regard to the need to go below 50Hz, it really does depend on the expectation of the artics (and their FOH guy), as well as the type of music. There are 2 kinds of headroom, the most often talked about volume headroom and there is also bandwidth headroom which designers use when developing product (and the associated components). When an application calls for -3dB at 35Hz, it's prudent design to insure that performance by targeting -3dB at say 30 or 32Hz. When dealing with larger spaces, outdoors for example, the addedbandwidth headroom is helpful in preventing damage when the speaker is driven hard. Bandwidth headroom is a function of percentage of maximum level too (where processing is being used) so for example if you were to add 3dB at 35Hz as a correction, the maximum amplitude would be expected to decrease while the bandwidth increases. This is what is referred to as power-bandwidth product. This applies in most electro-mechanical and electronic systems at both the low and high limits. In electronics at the high end, it's often referred to as gain-bandwidth product, something we designers of amplifiers eat, sleep and sweat over daily.

• Members

In your example of losing amplitude from boosting 35Hz by 3dB, isn't that also affected by other factors, in terms of its magnitude? For example if you were describing this effect in relation to a sealed box design, the box loading could potentially increase the impedance (relative to the average used in labeling the box and matching an appropriate amplification) around the -3dB point - so in that instance the boost applied would not necessarily reduce the maximum available output, or at least not to the same extent it would in the case of a more typical bass reflex type subwoofer.

• Members

The reduction occurs when you have reached the driver's limit (either thermal or mechanical) whenever you increase bandwidth you increase power even if everything remains atthe same amplitude because of the power bandwidth product. This concept is also accounted for in SPL measurements.

• Members
Yes keyboards can go lower but I guess my point is how much is a low B I think 33Hz used in typical none EDM? Rock' date=' Country etc?[/quote']

The Taurus bass pedals I use go down to a low C (31 Hz I think?), and I can actually get lower on the Minimoog and the Waldorf Blofelds. I don't go down there very often, but it does happen from time to time (this is rock, not EDM or electronica).

• Members

I admit there are cases where they need to go low. But I don't know anyone personally using the Taurus bass pedals. I guess what I'm beating around the bush is that most music I see don't use those lowest frequencies. I admit I am not at a pro level and never will be but in my area there are a lot of places that don't fit the normal load in bill. Read no ramps no elevators for many! So for my purposes that will probably double my load in weight. If I had a panel truck and a person to help load I would definitely consider larger cabinets again. I use to have some cabinets with 15s that would go pretty damn low but after a knee replacement got rid of them they were about 90 pounds and a pain in the butt on stairs.

Archived