• Members

Howdy folks, I use a zed 10 fx, love it. My client rented my equip and decided to go on her own and buy equipment, I advised to buy a Zed 10 she went and got the 12fx "so she could fiddle with buttons". Anyway very simple application just mics and running tracks through usb. She had a 1/4" cable going into the inputs of my Zed 10 and they worked but had to crank the heck out of the gains, but it worked. So I tested her zed12 got it up and running with a standard xlr mic input, well she has (models unknown sorry) mics with a 1/4" and assuming 3 pin on the end hooking to mic (know more tonight) and for some strange reason no input using the 1/4" line input. Can you run a mic into that line input via 3 pin to 1/4" cable? I am going to get her normal mic cables tonight as I think the cables she probably using junk or miswired or who knows. I do know they are crap mics, going to see if I can loan her a 58 and my EV so she can see what real mics do and she can toss the radio shack crap mics. Thoughts? She you tubed stuff and thought maybe she need phantom power on (sigh) I am pretty sure rat shack does not sell cheap condenser mics and I also know when she used my board phantom was off so 99 % sure they are not condenser.

So why work on zed 10FX line input but not on line input of 12fx? Thoughts? Yes I did make sure she's not using the insert input on the channels. Thanks folks. :)

• Members

I suppose it's always possible the cable that once worked, is now broken. My first thought however, is that maybe she was using "Grt 1" or Gtr 2" inputs on the Zed 10, which might work better with her mismatched level. Normally IME if you are not converting (with an adaptor) your mic signal to line, you will have to crank the gain to get much of anything - as AH has said.

My real question is, why buy a mixer, and not a proper mic cable? Or for that matter, why buy a mixer and not a mic and a cable - seems self defeating to me.

• Members

Shaster good question indeed. Asked myself the same question cause last time she was in a bar I had to tweak the gain cause she had almost zero on the vocals then it dawned on me. She used to use one of those crappy karaoke boxes with one speaker and I think (don't quote me) but most of those are 1/4" input only for the mic. And thank you for answering my question as I suspected it would be way off balance, now that I know it's ok to use the GTR inputs she can run that if she needs to in the future but I'm pretty sure have her talked into getting decent normal mic cables. It just stuns me that nothing comes out, even though mismatched it should still have something on the output, and I know the board works cause I tested it (just not the 1/4" line inputs). I showed her the mute button too and PFL to make sure she wasn't hitting those....has to be a button hit somewhere disabling those channels. Thanks for the input.

• Members

Unless you already own nice cables you should always get the proper cables for the job. I'm sure she can pony up 50 or 60 bucks for a few cables not to mention crap cables seldom last and fail at the worst possible time. She should have bought the 10fx and taken the difference and bought a good cable and mic.

• Members

Done. Gave her brand new mic cords and tested the mic and cable on my zed, she's off to the races, keep you posted. At first it looked like an 58 from a distance and it felt heavy and then I saw the label Radio Shack. Oh and she said the cables she's using came with the mic, so there's your answer about the cables.

Archived