Keep it,Sell it or fix it?

• Members

I bought a Studio Live 16.4.02, last summer to replace my Behringer Xenx XL1600. The left main on the Behringer has an intermittent problem, some times it works and some times it don't ! Question? Get it fixed, keep it for a back up or leave it as is and pan everything right and run mono. Or donate it to some bingo parlor!!!

• CMS Author

Using that as a backup is sortof like using a tire with a slow leak as your spare tire. I wouldn't trust it not to develop another problem just when you really need something to get through the show.

I agree with nchangin that trusting it would be a problem even if you had it repaired. Those mixers seem to have a lot of soldering or other connection issues.

• Members

I was thinking the obvious places to look would be any ribbon cables, the main bus pots, and the main XLRs. Although it might be possible to rule the latter two out without even opening the mixer, assuming you can get it to act up while it's on the bench. Beyond that...I probably wouldn't waste my time, and I don't charge myself much! :)

Actually, if you can get it to act up reliably, you might be able to use one of the other busses as the main bus, if the problem is isolated to the main bus.

Hmm, I'll open the bidding at $30. :)

Wes

• Members
Main B Left and right work fine, Looking at the schematic I'm wondering if it might be the relay? The reason I say this is B L&R are taken right before the relay which feeds the Main -A L&R.

B is also taken before the insert jacks. Have you checked the obvious first (before taking it apart and looking at all those parts and scratching your head in wonder, awe and puzzlement)? Cycle the inserts with 1/4" plugs and see if that resolves the problems. 100x less likely that it has anything to do with the relays.

• Members

Dear Stingray5,

Sorry to hear about your XL1600. If you would like information on getting the unit repaired, please feel free to contact our CARE department. You can reach them at CARE@music-group.com or at 702-800-8290 in the US. Please let me know if I can help

Best,

John DiNicola

Manager, Channel Marketing

MUSIC Group

BEHRINGER

• Members

B is also taken before the insert jacks. Have you checked the obvious first (before taking it apart and looking at all those parts and scratching your head in wonder, awe and puzzlement)? Cycle the inserts with 1/4" plugs and see if that resolves the problems. 100x less likely that it has anything to do with the relays.

Excellent. It never occurred to me the Inserts being the culprit.

• Members
My take? Open it up and look for obvious problems. If you don't find one, put it up on Craig's list -- and include the problem description in your listing.

That would be my recommendation as well. Our A/V department owns many "B" mixers (most with some issue or another). I have been asked to repair them from time to time. I found that the op amps used for the channel strips are special order (gotta buy 10k minimum). Obviously they didn't get fixed. Also I don't know that exact mixer but a lot of their gear is surface mount design which is a pain to troubleshoot and repair. For the most part they are throw aways.

That's my .02

Archived