JBL PRX712 tops? Almost no PR about these...

• Members

Hey all, thanks to the advice of this forum I upgraded to jbl prx718 subs and they rock! Thinking about upgrading the tops from my sx300 and qsc amps to matching powered tops (the jbl prx712) but there is very little press or forum attention on these guys. What little attention there is seems to say that the qsc k12s are better...anyone here have any thoughts on these boxes? Not sure I'm doing it but testing the waters...ari

• Members

Thank you! Have you heard of anyone that uses these prx speakers? I can't get any solid feedback on them quality and sound wise...have u used them? The compatibility is huge, but I have an analog crossover and it's not worth the compatibility if there are quality issues...

• Members

My main rig is MRX series which essential un-powered version of the PRX or so I've read on here. I prefer the JBL sound, but that's just a preference. QSC is great stuff too with a great warranty as well and I can't say one is better than the other, sorry. JBL is 5 year warranty I believe on the PRX. JBL is a company with a reputation and many good reviews on here on the PRX series. Keep researching and best thing you can do is listen to them both live and do your own comparison, as stated both are good middle level products.

I do know there are some cheaper in the PRX line personally I'd shy away from PRX 4XX series, PRX 418 seems to be the cheapest of the line, I'm sure others can chime in on the quality of those. Reason I say this I see them used frequently at about half the price of the PRX6xx series....I can't judge don't owned them. Just my opinion.$.02.

• Members

Oh and the PRX7xx series are relatively new series coming off the design of the PRX6XX series, PRX712 has a fan I don't think the 600 series did, so improvement? It will probably depend. Probably why you don't see many reviews, new stuff..seems to be nothing on Youtube for reviews either... Keep hunting. Maybe you can buy them and post your own review? heh I to would like to hear about this new series, I currently bought a powered set with no fans, kinda digging the no-fan-to-go-bad-and-silent speakers.

• Members

I own a pair K10's and 2 pairs of PRX612's - pretty close comparison considering the 712's are very similar to the 612's and I have A-B'd the K10's with the K12's and they are VERY similar too.

I like them both for different reasons. Stand alone I think the JBL's win out BUT when accompanied by subs, the QSC's are very transparent and easy to EQ. The QSC's have an uncolored hi-fi quality and the JBL's are warmer but with an enhanced brightness in the upper frequencies -cymbals and such......just my take...

• Members
Cool-thank you-I wonder if I should go qsc together with my jbl subs. If they're close enough tho I would stick to the jbls

I think you would be very happy either way.

Things to consider:.......I have heard that the fans in the 712's can get a little loud ( no fans of course in my PRX612's) and I know the fans in the QSC's are very quiet. This might be a moot point in most venues but a consideration depending on your application.

I use my JBL's with QSC K-subs in small places and they work well together.

One more thing, the finish on the JBL's is harder wearing than the QSC's (hides scuffs better) ..

It might come down to getting the better price.....

• Members

Hey, had a gig with my existing rig last night. My ev's are SO loud with the subs that I don't think I need new speakers. Just a little boxy sounding. Wondering if it's just an eq thing I can mess with. Blasting at full swing I barely hit -10 on my qsc amp..

• Members
Hey' date=' had a gig with my existing rig last night. My ev's are SO loud with the subs that I don't think I need new speakers. Just a little boxy sounding. Wondering if it's just an eq thing I can mess with. Blasting at full swing I barely hit -10 on my qsc amp..[/quote']

I've seen the SX300's at many events over the years. They seemed to be one of the install/event provider's speaker of choice in my area (Vancouver BC). Although, times are changing, I still see them around. In fact I performed at a large multi day Xmas event last December, where they had two stages, a skating rink and so on. They were using EV SX300's - sounded very nice.

If the speakers are working for you, then here's another vote for staying with what you've got - at least for the time being. As for boxiness, I'm not sure what your definition is, but you could go through your EQ graph to see if anything really jumps out at you. I don't recall any "boxy" problems, but YMMV.

• Members
I think the PRX line is JBL's response to Yamaha's DXR line.

I think you got it backwards! JBL has been making powered speakers longer than Yamaha has. JBL was working on the third generaion of the PRX series before the DSR or DXR line was introduced.

• Members
I was kind of surprised at the urge to replace the sx300s. It's what I run' date=' and they sound really fine to me. [/quote'] Sometimes it's user error, and two of them we're bought used aswell...my setup is SL 16.4.2 into Samson s3 crossover into plx 1804 power. Speakers are getting 900 watts into 2 of them at 4 ohms a side. Crossed over at 90. I found that I needed to crank the crossover way above unity gain to get clean headroom but when I do, power is really there

• Members

I should begin by explaining that I only run my rig for my Chicago style blues band, and never for crowds of more than 100 or so. I have a QSC GX-5 which I run in crossover mode with my sx300 tops and a Peavey SP118 sub. I also have a Yamaha P3500S for my 2 Peavey SP112M monitors. That's usually only for outdoor parties; inside I either use what's available or just run the tops and a monitor or two. I'm fortunate to play with a bunch of seasoned guys that know how to control themselves and listen to each other, so we don't need separate monitors & mixes for each player; we usually only monitor the vocals and piano if we happen to have a keys player on the gig.

• Members
I've been running the subs for a whole now and their fans certainly don't bug me. Running in larger wedding halls (4-600 ppls)

This is interesting because I was thinking about getting a pair of the PRX715XLF's myself for small venues - save me having to lug in my 18"'s. However, I keep hearing that the fans are annoyingly loud and today there is a comment on another forum stating this. Of course, the larger the room, perhaps the fan noise would seem less.......so you don't find the fan noise too loud??

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,146653.40.html

• Members

74dB at 2'??? The speaker is 96-ish dB at 1W/1m, if the guy in that post can hear that throughout the room, I'm certain he has supernatural hearing or is looking for a nit to pick. First, JBL takes crap for not putting fans in these, then when they (marketing folks primarily) bow to putting a fan in to appease the unwashed masses, they bitch about the very feature they demanded. Good 'f-ing grief!

Archived