new yorkvill parasource 12

• Members

I own the DSR112's. I use them for tops over subs with an occasional solo/duet gig with acoustic guitars. For that they are really great. They don't have much down really low though (<70Hz). If you use them full range for DJ music, they will leave you flat IMHO. Al's review said that the new yorikes rivaled his DXR15 for low end ..... which is a huge endorsement. He also said the horn wasn't quite as sweet as some of his other speakers. The DSR112 has huge punch in the low mids which works wonderfully with subs. I don't know how well the yorkies do in this capacity.

I think the parasource 12 also weighs in at 60lbs. That is a bit on the heavy side for me.

I am guessing that the answer is "it depends".

• Members
These new speakers look great! Would these be an upgrade over a DSR 112 or a lateral move??

I had a brief look at the ParaSource 12"'s a few weeks back, and yeah, they do look great. I didn't take time to listen though, because I was in "tightwad mode", and didn't want to be tempted. smiley-frustrated

I suspect the ParaSource speakers share some of the technology found in the ParaLine series, such as multi-band limiting. The ParaLines can sound amazingly good, especially when pushed HARD. In typical Yorkville fashion, power-consumption in the Parasource is very low compared to a lot of other Class-D speakers I've looked at. Max SPL is 133dB/ 128dB continuous. I'd be willing to bet that the ParaLines' HF's sound better/smoother.

• Members

These new speakers look great! Would these be an upgrade over a DSR 112 or a lateral move??

It really depends if you're planning to use them stand alone or in combination with subs and for what purpose. If you're using a sub or subs for the lower frequencies, this would indeed be a lateral move at best, and I personally slightly prefer the crisper top end on the DSR112 over the PS-12P. For stand alone use for playback music or small band or artist with backing tracks however (for example) the significantly deeper frequencies available from the PS-12P would make it a noticeable upgrade in "warmth" of sound / overall fullness. The difference between the two cabs is truly night and day in this particular aspect, so depending on your application, it may indeed be worth it.

Al

• Members
Interesting Bobby' date=' actual class D power consumption is within a few percent amongst virtually all manufacturers. The net efficiency is between 85 and 90% which doesn't make for much of a wide spread.[/quote']

Andy,

I was a bit surprised to see an average power-consumption of 2.3A typ, 3.0A max (thinking it was lower than average). Another model of Class D box that I looked at a while back, claimed 7.0 A, but for the life of me, I can't find it now. (thought it was the K-12, but not so according to their currently published specs)

In the recent past, you didn't often see dual-module Class D amps in Yorkville boxes. They generally use a lot of two-tier Class H, or Class AB amps for the HF drivers. The last iteration of the NX55P had a Class D LF amp, but it's hard to find what the older NX55P's used (when they were 47 lbs vs 41 lbs.) I tried to dig up the info in their "lagacy products" listing,,, but no luck.

• Members

I could be wrong, but I thought all the NX55Ps were Class D / Class H. Is it possible you're thinking of the NX550P? It weighs 47 lbs but is also Class D / Class H. They are basically the same speaker AFAICT.

• Members
I could be wrong' date=' but I thought all the NX55Ps were Class D / Class H. Is it possible you're thinking of the NX550P? It weighs 47 lbs but is also Class D / Class H. They are basically the same speaker AFAICT.[/quote']

To be honest WESQ, I just don't recall. In the past, Yorkville always posted their specs with the note that "specs were subject to change". Seems to me there was a few steps downward in the weight category, from 47 lbs, and ultimately to 41 lbs., which would indicate some component changes during that models' lifespan..

• Members

Without using the same measurement methods, there's no way to tell from marketing spec sheets how efficient an amp is. For example, just the way the amp's output is rated (RMS, peak, some made up number) can change the published efficiency by a factor of 2-4x. All of the class d amps I design with exceed 85% efficiency (typ. 86-90%) including power supply!!!

Archived