My first post

• Members

I wish the HC web nerds would learn that maintaining authentication credentials is key to maintaining community. I would be willing to bet that by requiring new passwords they carve out 25% of the subscriber base every time they change software.

• Members
I wish the HC web nerds would learn that maintaining authentication credentials is key to maintaining community. I would be willing to bet that by requiring new passwords they carve out 25% of the subscriber base every time they change software.
Not their fault, most modern software only maintains encrypted passwords and there is no way to recover them and import them into a different software :( .

• Members

There is always a way, particularly if you have the source code to the original software. I have done this many times, even without source code or direct access to the original password store. On systems in the million-user range.

• Members
There is always a way' date=' particularly if you have the source code to the original software. I have done this many times, even without source code or direct access to the original password store. On systems in the million-user range.[/quote']The more secure systems store the passwords as hashes that are not reversible (AKA use a lossy encryption/compression).

• Members
I'm getting rather annoyed with the fact that I have to sign in every time I log onto the forums' date=' even though I check "Remember Me" every time I log in![/quote']

That's probably a cookie setting I think if memory serves, do you have cookies disabled?

• Members

RoadRanger, I understand password hashes very well.

Now consider simply using the old system as an authentication check and re-storing the passwords in the new system upon use and validation.

QED

Wes

• Members
RoadRanger' date=' I understand password hashes very well. Now consider simply using the old system as an authentication check and re-storing the passwords in the new system upon use and validation.[/quote']I doubt they have access to the source code. I suppose they could have someone sitting there intercepting the bad password attempts to type them into the old system to see if they're good - or maybe not ;) .

• Members

vBulletin comes with source code (PHP). I'd also be pretty surprised if it didn't have out of the box foreign authentication APIs to support single-sign on for integration with corporate SSO systems, e.g. LDAP/Active-Directory type stuff.

• Members
vBulletin comes with source code (PHP). I'd also be pretty surprised if it didn't have out of the box foreign authentication APIs to support single-sign on for integration with corporate SSO systems' date=' e.g. LDAP/Active-Directory type stuff.[/quote']i wuz talkin' 'bout the Lithium stuff.

• Members

I actually made the switch using my iPhone via satellite connection from a remote ski-touring lodge in the Selkirks of BC. It was a PITA but I was able to keep my screen name and renew my password. No idea what this now looks like on a full screen. Presently sitting here at 7,000 ft with clear weather waiting on fog to clear in the Revelstoke valley so the helo can take off and haul us out. I have a show to do tomorrow and there's a 10+ hour drive to get home. "Time to spare, go by air"!

• Members

You don't need the source code for the Lithium stuff - you just need a running server to authenticate against. That is an extremely common problem I tackle when taking over services from uncooperative this party vendors. So, like I said, you just keep the old one running somewhere and authenticate against it for the transitional period.

• CMS Author

I am trying to get Craig to help me with mine Bill. Hope I have some luck.

Did Dendy get you set up? I'm only just able to post from my laptop today...had to upgrade the OS so I could upgrade my browser. That only took two full days...137 MS updates...about 55 reboots. Mac, anyone?

I just love these annual forum software parties.

Archived