Yamaha's new MGP series analog/digital hybrid mixer.

• Members

Analog effects? Surely you are either kidding, or are believing the marketing drivil The whole analog warmth campaign is marketing spew BS. Your friend adding analog eq's to the digital console because the onboard eq's sound cold is also a bunch of hooey as there is nothing in the signal path other than the same DSP that the entire signal chain of data is processed by. I suspect that he added them for convenience byt perhaps spun it differently.

I have worked with every digital yamaha console in that class ($10k would be the larger LS9 and/or smaller M7) and I have never noticed a cold digital eq nor has any of the hundreds of touring engineers that I have worked with as well.

• Members

It's the same as the previous mixer except they add a way to edit the internal fx via iPad. Afaik the auxes and main eq doesn't have any digital effects on it. A rack of eq's would still be needed for live use. OP is most likely getting paid for his "review" since I have a hard time believing he actually believes this. Right now there are so so many boards on the market in this frame size that companies are desperate to sell. I can't believe yamaha would intentionally send out fake bloggers to do it though, they have more class than that.

• Members
A hybrid mixer? What a great idea' date=' wonder where they got it? Oh yeah, Peavey FX Mixer, 2005...sm-rotfl[/quote']

Funny, what some folks will pass off as "new" ;)

How have you been doing? I see you are not in Germany this week enjoing yet another trade show...

• Members

Yes, analog effects with true analog circuitry. That is what they advertise. Do you have factual documentation to back up your accusation of them lying, or are you just making this up?

Sir, even their own ad copy supports my comments. The effects are digital regardless of what you might think.

Yamaha's MG series consoles are packed with uber-cool features to make your life on the road a cakewalk. The MGP32X boasts two separate studio-grade effects processors: Yamaha's excellent REV-X reverb with three high-resolution 'verbs and the acclaimed SPX digital multi-effects processor, which gives you an eminently useable selection of 16 advanced digital effects.

Haven't we gone down this road before? When you make absurd claims as factual, you better be prepared to back them up with real info.

• Members

Sir, even their own ad copy supports my comments. The effects are digital regardless of what you might think.

Yamaha's MG series consoles are packed with uber-cool features to make your life on the road a cakewalk. The MGP32X boasts two separate studio-grade effects processors: Yamaha's excellent REV-X reverb with three high-resolution 'verbs and the acclaimed SPX digital multi-effects processor, which gives you an eminently useable selection of 16 advanced digital effects.

Haven't we gone down this road before? When you make absurd claims as factual, you better be prepared to back them up with real info.

Did you watch the video above? In the first minute he explains that some of the effects are "not digitally, but in analog... reproducing that type of circuitry...". And yes, unfortunately we have been down this road of you littering my posts with inaccurate criticisms. What's up with that anyway?

Here it is again:

[video=youtube;4-WhSfdET9I]

• Members

You can emulate anything in dsp, (digital). In fact I worked on a spring reverb algorithm in DSP about 10 years ago. That analog emulation preset in DSP is still a digital effect. Heck, any reverb effect is an emulation of an analog process in the digital domain. Marketing folks can say anything they want, that doesn't make it right. That's an engineers responsibility.

• Members

The idea that analog circuitry is somehow superior to digital circuitry with respect to sound quality is simply inaccurate no matter how you say it. There are good analog circuits, and good digital algorithms..... and bad for both as well.

I have personally thought that the Yamaha SPX reverbs are pretty decent; however, the efx inside my X32 Rack are not just decent, they are superb. I feel the same way about the Qu-16 and Expression Si.... simply superb.

I haven't had the opportunity to give a listen to the new MGP mixers, so I can't comment on any direct comparison to the many mixers that I have had the chance to hear and play around with in person.

What I CAN say is that my Allen and Heath MixWiz is considered a very good analog board with very good quality channel strips in its price range (~$1000.00). My X32 Rack is superior to my MixWiz from a sonic and feature view in every way. My personal experience simply does not jive with your assertions.

Now what IS true is that there are still lots of people out there that feel much more at home on an analog board layout. The combination of a decent digital efx engine and a decent analog mix surface is a good combination for this market.

$1300.00 for a 24 channel mix board with decent efx isn't bad, but we are not talking about a sound quality difference here, we are talking about a dollar per channel discussion.

All of the digital boards I listed above dwarf the features of the MGP, and despite your assertions, they all sound fantastic.

• Members

Good grief, a mono blend switch. I just run two channels and pan them centre if needs be. What the heck!

BTW I heard no mention of analog effects. He did say that they had copied the "Britich EQ" circuitry and applied it by analog means. Whatever - is there a board out there that doesn't claim to have British EQ? I didn't mean that literally, just saying it's often part of the game....

I kind of felt bad for the guy. Trying to sell features that are no big deal (at least anymore), or even odd. Ducking? I guess it would be handy if you were ordering beer from stage. The whole band could get quiet when you yelled out your drink order.

And another thing I've always wondered. Why do we need one thousand and one effects. I might use a bit of verb, a bit of delay and maybe some chorus thickening (that one rarely). What's with all the other stuff? Maybe it's for the new music I'm not involved with - I'll admit that could be the case.

Archived