Electro-voice ZLX-15Ps or JBL Eon515XTs x2 as mains for small outdoor venues?

• Members

They both retail for about $1000/ pair. This is about my budget for upgrading PA for my not-super-loud NPS Ranger Band (reference thread "Upgrading sound reinforcement for rock band playing mostly outdoor venues" from before the forum reboot). I've listened to them both at Guitar Center and they sound broadly comparable. Is there an objective reason to choose one over the other based on history, personal experience, reputation, or any other practical concern?

JBL EON515XT $499 new (53.5lb, 26.5x16x14.5")

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EON515XT

Electro-voice ZLX-15P, 15", 1000W, $500. (42 lbs, 29 x 19 x 19")

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Voice-ZLX-15P-15--2-Way-Powered-Loudspeaker-108729377-i2891112.gc

I thought I remembered the JBL Eons were quite a bit lighter and smaller than the Electro-voice, but these stats suggest it's the other way around. I wonder if I really looked at the same models at GC? All other things being equal, I'd favor the lighter ones.

I really wish we could afford a pair of Yamaha DXR15s, but we just can't. Not on our sequestered budget. :-(

What do you smart, savvy audio pros think?

• Members

A Guitar Center sales guy was telling me the EV ELX series would be better for a rock band than the ZLX, which is optimized for DJs. Something about the distribution of power to bass (more for the DJ application, I guess). Looking at them both, I was more impressed by the wood cabinets of the ELX compared to the plastic cabs of the ZLX.

As for JBL Eons looking like toys, yes they surely do. But to my eye they're better looking than the older models (which is to say, better than hideous). And I've sure seen a lot of bands playing through them at small outdoor stages in local parks, festivals, street fairs, etc. My other band (church band) has been using a pair of Eon15 G2s as mains (with a sub) for a few years now, and they get the job done.

• Members
A Guitar Center sales guy was telling me the EV ELX series would be better for a rock band than the ZLX, which is optimized for DJs. Something about the distribution of power to bass (more for the DJ application, I guess). Looking at them both, I was more impressed by the wood cabinets of the ELX compared to the plastic cabs of the ZLX.

I don't think the ZLX are so much suited for DJ's as rep indicated, more so that conclusion he has (I believe) is because of the two modes they have music and club. I own two ZLX 12's and the setting for "club" is way too smily eq faced (probably your typical club dj maybe? anyway with that setting with music, did not like, your spl is going to max out real quick) Now live setting seems to be flattest mode of the ZLX and that is what I run for almost everything. I think the speech mode could be more optimized for monitor use, would like to see what some live guys think on that though.

JBL EON's, kinda funny looking, no processing on board to match with a sub down the road, ZLX has built in xover and matches nicely with elx118's if you choose that down the road. I'm with Abzurd's suggestion ELX115P before ZLX though. Wood is good.

If you prefer the JBL sound why not do it right and go PRX? Good luck in your decision hope it works out for you, also what are your plans for subs or you already have subs?

• Members

Looking to do without subs for now, so I can put more $ towards good 15" mains. Recommended a pair of EV ELX115 for mains.

Wouldn't most subs I might ever add in future have a crossover circuit of their own so I wouldn't need to rely on a crossover circuit in my mains?

• Members

Most powered subs have built in DSP yes, however mixing brands isn't always the best solution, some solutions mixing brands do work together, however you can't go wrong going with the same series/brand mixing subs and tops (for most powered models anyway). In other words if you do decide to mix and match, do your homework on the DSP part and mixing certain models with others (xover frequencies for example, you don't want double process signal either and some subs may crossover say 90 hz and tops @ 100 hz so you have that 10 hz gap) Either way that is down the road anyway.....

Oh BTW and the ELX have a much cooler logo/light than the ZLX, ZLX all you get a small LED light, with the ELX you get the EV logo to be back lit. (not that it matters I prefer them off anyway)

• Members
Looking to do without subs for now, so I can put more $ towards good 15" mains. Recommended a pair of EV ELX115 for mains.

Wouldn't most subs I might ever add in future have a crossover circuit of their own so I wouldn't need to rely on a crossover circuit in my mains?

Actually those ELX115P have a 100hz HPF switch to use to x-over when combining with the ELX118P sub that lacks HPF and only has EQ boost switch. However, their new ETX active 15 and 18 sub has some what variable HPF switch use to x-over. Although ETX cost way more and weigh way more then ELX118P sub.

• Members

Good choice on 15" two way if you are running sub free.

Make sure you do not engage the 100hz HPF (high pass filter) on this box without subs.

If you do engage the 100hz HPF you will notice bass cuts off.

Try this when you have some recorded music going so you can see the change.

Also, do not crank the bass tone control way up to try to get bass that not there without a sub.

Try running the tone controls flat on the speakers until you get the hang of it.

Watch for the limiter light/clip. Turn it down if you are see the limit/clip light a lot.

Keep it simple and enjoy your band thing.

Looks like you guys have a fun thing going.

• Members

Thanks for the good advice, y'all. We're going with the EV ELX115s. I'll pay close attention to the advice regarding EQ settings when we're up and rocking.

I understand my Interpretative division folks are also buying a small portable stage, which I did not expect or ask for. I think we'll be playing out at more venues soon. Now if I could just find a good volunteer-in-the-park with some soundboard skills and time to help, we'd be off to the races. I can't mix sound and front this band at the same time. We're based out of the Santa Monica Mountains Nat'l Rec Area, Thousand Oaks, CA. Know any retired sound guys in the area I should call? :-)

• Members
"Jeb Hootchkins" lives up in them mountains, loves to "trap" beaver and do live production on the side.

Likes to hang with the band and drink a lot of beer after the show.

This is when his beaver trapping skillz are at best.

Looks just like a "cowboy shooter" I had to work with once. Took it a bit too serious, he even smelled the part. Can you say NASTY?

Archived