TC-Helicon MP-70 & MP-75 Microphone Review

• Members

A few months ago I got a coupon from an online vendor for $20 off an order over $100. I looked around the site and stumbled on the TC-Helicon MP-75 microphone. I use TC harmonizers and this microphone uses phantom power for a switch on the body that can toggle the harmonies on and off, or control some other function if you'd like. There is also a version without this feature, the MP-70.

The microphone is excellent and a steal for the $80 price I see the MP-70 going for and $100 for the MP-75. They are very similar to an Audix OM7 but with a slightly meatier sound, which is full, but not boomy like the lows can get on something like a Shure Beta 58A. Like the OM7, the capsule is very close to the windscreen and uses something called a "Lismer capsule" that has a patented neodymium magnet structure. I tried to search for the patent but didn't find it. Also like an OM7, the pattern is extremely tight and you have to be right in front and on the mic or you fade fast. I'm guessing this design was done to maximize performance with the harmonizers. The mic itself seems very well built and has some heft to it.

I normally use a wireless microphone, so the cable, as well as the slim body of the mic, took some getting used to. Ironically I have more freedom with this wired mic than I ever had with a wireless because the harmonies are a press of a button versus being tied to a foot switch. Pressing the button was awkward at first, but by the end of the first set with it I realized it really was ergonomic to have the body so slim as you could position your grip to where a good squeeze with your finger between any of your knuckles would press the button and be undetectable by anyone watching.

The only con I can think of is it has slightly more handling noise than my Shure mics, but Shure makes a very quiet body so that's true of a lot of microphones out there. Otherwise, if you aren't one to stay on top of the microphone then this one isn't for you either.

If you're looking for high isolation on a budget, the MP-70 / 75 is a steal and easily stacks up to microphones twice the price.

• Members

Yes, I still use an external pedal or the switches on the unit itself. It's handy when I'm playing tambourine, cowbell, or just want to be expressive with my hands so they don't always have to be on the mic. I was surprised how quickly I adapted to it considering I've used a harmonizer with a pedal alone for 650 shows (roughly 27,000 songs).

Archived