A&H GL-2200 Sizzle

• Members

After my rig being stored and unused for about 2-years I broke it out of captivity and we are using parts of it for church. Everything went well for two weeks and now, this morning, there is a sizzle in all of the outputs. This sizzle remains when all inputs and outputs are muted.

Any thoughts? It sounds to me like a power supply trying to die.

• Members

main, aux, and headphone. i am currently waiting for the room to clear so i can test more. Sizzle died in mains when i pulled the xlr from the main out. did not check the aux after disconnecting the main to see if sizzle remained in aux or headphones.

• Members

After the room cleared around 1:00, I could not replicate the problem. No noise.

This console has never fried eggs before. It has had problems you would expect from a well used 14-year old analog board - reseat everything, broken solder joints on high use jacks (pin 2 on Ch.1 most recently). Broken solder joints that cause "popping" when you knock into the board. I made that repair two weeks ago. After the repair, tests reveald a board quieter than I have ever heard it.

The system is SRM450s over Peavey SP118s fed from a PV1500 using the crossover in the amp. There is no processing between the main out and the amp in and ground is not lifted at either end. The whole system is fed from a single circuit at the stage with a 100' 12-ga running to FOH to power the console. The building is VERY old and I am sure is not up to code. At precisely 11:17 every Sunday morning there is a RF interference sound that play through the system (even with the old Mackie board I took out of service three weeks ago). The RF noise is similar to the sound made when a cell phone set on silent rings near a pickup. I do not know what induces this sound every week, it could possibly be from the building wireing. I am use to AC issues being predictable and consistent (not random and intermittent). I also have never heard fried-eggs due to AC issues.

This board has made me pull my hair before but it has never fried eggs.

• Members

I do not think it has anything to do with the board. I suspect that you have an input that was routed to all of the outputs that caused this problem, though I am puzzled by muting not solving this. It is possible for an input head amp's differential transistors to degrade causing this problem.

Archived