Sub question for the engineer types

• Members

I have one ZXA1 Sub with a 126 db rating  If add another run them in the center coupled what would be my expected output?  If I ran them apart with sticks what would be my output.  Thirdly if I ran 3 center coupled?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Theoretically 132db for a pair coupled in the center.  In the real world however....

Adding subs almost never gets you what theory predicts so there is no science to this, just speculation. This sort of thing is a meaningless exercise. The more subs you have, the louder it should get. Beyond that, it all goes fuzzy except on paper, in books on theory, and in the marketing department. You will generally get the most bang out of any number of subs by placing whatever you got together. That "best" placement might be centered, might be on one side, might be in a corner, but sometimes might be split under stacks....

The only way to get these answers (for certain) is to buy them, set them up, and take a measurement. Sorry it doesn't get more concrete than this...

• Members

I've got a pair and I really like how they sound with the kick drum. Actual output? Don't really know, but don't want to play louder than they go and I like things a lot lower than that. If more is needed, better hire a sound company. My take anyway. My current project, five weeks from going public, has an e-drummer. The ZXA1s with matching subs works just fine for what we are wanting to do. Wondering if we'll be running the bass through too.

Archived