OT: McDonalds sued for $1.5M over a napkin?

• CMS Author

Anyone can sue anyone, for any amount and for any reason. It seems that the Republic of California is much more likely to let such nuisance lawsuits go to trial, because juries there seem more likely to return a judgement for the plaintiff. Everyone pays, but only the lawyers get paid.

• Members

It's mind numbing.

I'm sitting here filling out my business census form for 2014... spilling my guts about every conceivable detail about my business to minutia... as required by law.

The other day ago I was sitting through a city council meeting where-upon a serious matter about our community's average household income was some issue... and that data is not available via the census... seemingly because household income is no-longer census collected data... possibly due to invasion of privacy concerns.

It does seem that as a person, it's hands-off concerning invasion of privacy, unless as a person, you cross the line to operate a legitimate business, and if you operate a legitimate business, then you're seemingly free game to be plucked at will... and if you don't offer paper napkins (or anything else) to satiety free for the asking with a smiling face... then your ass is hanging out $1.5M.

If as a business owner, my last and seemingly only right is: I have the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason I deem suitable.  If/when that right is stripped away... then I dunno what.

Personally:  I'm an advocate for a free and open market, and let the market decide.  If a customer doesn't like the way he/she is treated by a business, then can vent all they want... it's a free world... take out a front page ad if they'd like.  If the business fails due to low sales because of low foot traffic due to the word getting around of poor customer treatment... that's the way the cookie crumbles.

• Members

Ridiculous.  It's people like him that contribute to the fact that there are too many law firms around.  That should get them all revved up about their jobs and all the "good" they are doing for our society.  My apologies to any attorneys here :)

Napkind my ass!

Archived