4x jbl prx 615m with 2x prx 618 xlf can work?

• Members

hey i own 4x jbl prx 615m and im looking for the right subs for them.
i have a budget right now only for 2 of the 618 xlf subs , and in the sound store they told me the ideal is 1 618xlf sub for every 615m top ?
im buying the subs for parties outside
the question is  what do you think on this set up? does anybody got to work with this kind of set up ?
Thank You

• Members

I usually run a 612 over a 618xls (per side). 

For some gigs I run two 612s over one 618xls (per side) it works ok but the subs can't keep up with the tops. It works fine for me as I am not doing bass heavy bands but I'd sure like the extra pair of 618xls.

I think two 618xls per side would be much better for outside gigs - though once again it would depend on the type of music.

Cheers

• Members

I have prx612, prx615, and prx618sxlf speakers. Indoors I use one top to one sub, with the level on the sub turned up a bit more than the top (depending on music type). Outdoors, the usual rule of thumb is you need twice as many subs as you do indoors. I prefer the sound of the 612 over the sub more than I like the 615 over a sub. If I'm not using subs, then I choose the 615. There is nothing really "wrong" with the 615 over 618 combo; I just think that the 612 over 618 sounds a bit sweeter.

Are you stacking the 615 speakers "horn to horn", or do you have them side by side? Side by side may actually give you lower levels in the audience due to comb filter effects. YMMV. Mark C.

• Members

IMO a pair of subs is better then no subs at all, and I would opt to center cluster the subs myself for outdoors would yield a few more dBs in some frequencies and you should be able to splay the 15s enough to not have   a lot of comb filtering problems. 

Archived