Suggest a good rack mountable mixer....

• Members

I am looking for a good rack mountable mixer that has at least 14 XLR inputs and 4 aux sends.  I have been looking at the Allen & Heath WZ3 and WZ4 series.  I am currently using a soundcraft EFX12. I have been happy with it, but it only has 2 aux sends for monitors.  I don't see anything else in the soundcraft line that has 4 aux sends for monitors and is rack mountable.  Does anyone have any other suggestions ?  Thanks

• Members

55fmj wrote:

I am looking for a good rack mountable mixer that has at least 14 XLR inputs and 4 aux sends.  I have been looking at the Allen & Heath WZ3 and WZ4 series.  I am currently using a soundcraft EFX12. I have been happy with it, but it only has 2 aux sends for monitors.  I don't see anything else in the soundcraft line that has 4 aux sends for monitors and is rack mountable.  Does anyone have any other suggestions ?  Thanks

I've got a bunch of small format Soundcrafts (Notepad 124-FX,,,EFX-8,,,MFXi-8) and I've recently started using my MixWiz3 16;2 for band practices,,, and find it a noticeable step-up. Just a pleasure to work with.

If the budget allows (look into the future), you may seriously want to consider the new A&H Qu16 digital console.

• Members

Have you thought about c onsidering the Qu series from A&H?  Similar to the Soundcraft Expression, and the 16 channel is rackmount, with 10 mix outputs so you have expandability if you need more aux sends or ever want to do stereo IEM or the like.  I've looked at getting one myself.

• Members

I've just started a (hopefully) regular Saturday afternoon gig, using my MixWiz. I'm running a stage FOH, sending a separate mix to the house system (vocals and horns only), using a simple FX combo (tweaked via midi) on aux #5 and aux feeding an LS800P. The next time in, I might even send the keyboard player his vocal, back to the mini PA he carries... The MW3 has allowed me to do this easily, even without subgroups. And I sure like the aux #6 to mono master feature.

I had considered using a smaller/lighter mixer but the flexibility trumps portability. So, a vote for the MixWiz if you're not going digital.

Archived