P.A. setup qestion

• Members

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some insight on setting up a P.A. system for a 3-piece band. First of all, it's a work in progress; our current setup is a disaster. We've got an old PA 600W head with 2 passive 15" mains. I've just ordered 2 Seismic Audio active subwoofers to add to the mix (Subs) We've also got a Behringer mixing board to work with (Behringer Xenyx 2442 FX mixing board - Mixer)

The head and mains we have are pretty dated and we're looking to replace them soon. Right now, we run the guitar (not mic'd) through a regular guitar amp, and the bass is played through a typical combo amp and fed through the mixer, along with the vocals, to the PA - the mains we have can barely handle the low range of the bass, so the volume is very low on the board. The end-goal is to have everything ran through the board to get a good mix.

My question really pertains to the subs I've just purchased. Will these subs power the current mains we have? In other words, will we be able to retire the old-school peavey head and just run everything through the mixer - to the subs - to the mains? I'm assuming the mains we have now handle upwards of 150 rms, I ask because this matches perfectly with each sub's satellite output signal. I'm also assuming the low pass filter on the subs will help control how much of the low end gets sent to the mains.

I've been reading up on this for a few days, and I can't really come up with a definitive answer - obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat. I guess i'm just looking for feedback and suggestions. 

Sorry for the amateurish question, i'm rather new to this type of thing ( and I"m on a tight budget - that's a nicer way of saying i'm flat broke!)

• Members

ianDL wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some insight on setting up a P.A. system for a 3-piece band. First of all, it's a work in progress; our current setup is a disaster. We've got an old PA 600W head with 2 passive 15" mains. I've just ordered 2 Seismic Audio active subwoofers to add to the mix (
) We've also got a Behringer mixing board to work with (
Behringer Xenyx 2442 FX mixing board - 
)

The head and mains we have are pretty dated and we're looking to replace them soon. Right now, we run the guitar (not mic'd) through a regular guitar amp, and the bass is played through a typical combo amp and fed through the mixer, along with the vocals, to the PA - the mains we have can barely handle the low range of the bass, so the volume is very low on the board. The end-goal is to have everything ran through the board to get a good mix.

My question really pertains to the subs I've just purchased. Will these subs power the current mains we have? In other words, will we be able to retire the old-school peavey head and just run everything through the mixer - to the subs - to the mains? I'm assuming the mains we have now handle upwards of 150 rms, I ask because this matches perfectly with each sub's satellite output signal. I'm also assuming the low pass filter on the subs will help control how much of the low end gets sent to the mains.

I've been reading up on this for a few days, and I can't really come up with a definitive answer - obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat. I guess i'm just looking for feedback and suggestions. 

Sorry for the amateurish question, i'm rather new to this type of thing ( and I"m on a tight budget - that's a nicer way of saying i'm flat broke!)

Short answer is no, the amps in the subs will only power the subs. There is not an "extention" amp (so to speak) within the speaker that allows you to power passive speakers. There should be a line I/O that would pass/receive signal from another powered speaker (or amp) but that's it. The LPF is not a crossover, it simply establishes a frequency point where the cabinet filters off. They are very useful for any source that doesn't need low end like vox, etc... using them can clean up a mix and take some work load off your amps.   

• Members

I see you put subs in quotations. I assume you're saying they're no good because they're cheap. If I'm wrong, let me know. I have read some mixed reviews, but because of my budget, I'm going to take a gamble with them.

• Members

ianDL wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some insight on setting up a P.A. system for a 3-piece band. 

I'm assuming the mains we have now handle upwards of 150 rms, I ask because this matches perfectly with each sub's satellite output signal. 

Good afternoon,

What are the models of speakers you have? If they handle 150 wrms then yes it appears you can plug them into the speaker output of the subs. I think you would want to do this way preferably as you could possibly have DSP latency differential between the subs and tops using the other amp and the powered subs at the same time. 

SPECIAL FEATURES Two Channel Satellite Power Output
 - 8 Ohm - 2 x 150 Watts

• Members

Yep think about tools there is a reason for this.  You have low end kmart tool set, then a step up sears craftsman set and if your a pro your going to want something like snap-on.  For me a craftsman is good enough because I dont make a living with tools and seldom ever break or wear one out.

In almost every product line there are

Entry level budget grade

Value mid grade

Professional grade

Archived