NX55P suddenly sounding bad

• Members

Hi, All;

Sorry to bug y'all with two sets of questions in one day!  I'm prepping for my first show of the year, took my NX55Ps which I had been using as monitors and threw them up on stands, got some loaner JRX112Ms set up as monitors, ready to have a "dress rehearsal" to make sure I've got all my Ts crossed and Is dotted. (Nothing worse than showing up at a show and being short a cable .. or not knowing how to operate your equipment)

So ... one of my NX55Ps now sounds like crap.  Something wrong with the LF driver I'm pretty sure. I have checked the configuration between the two speakers and made sure that the source feeding the bad-sounding speaker sounds fine with the good-sounding speaker. The source is just the demo track off my drum machine, through a mixer.

The video shows me walking from the bad speaker to the good speaker and back.  They are being played VERY quietly, something like 75dB @ 1m   (people sleeping in the house).  Listen to the bass, very scratchy and jangly in one speaker and smooth as silk in the other.

Should I bother doing anything at home, or should I just take it to the shop on Friday?  (135 mile drive each way) .. Could this be a loose connection between the amp and the driver, or something simple like that?

Thanks,

Wes

• Members

Are you 100% positive it's the speaker? How have you got the signal routed? Something's not right for sure. Sounds to me like you have no "highs" coming from one of the boxes, but you're talking about "bass".

If it is the speaker, how old is your speaker? My dealer simply hands you a brand new one over the counter, if the speaker is not more than two years old,,, no questions asked.

• Members

Before driving that far. Take advantage of your redundancy.

1 - Unplug the audio cable from the good box and plug it into the bad box. If the problem goes away then it wasn't the speaker.

2 - If still there swap out the amp modules. If the problem follows the amps then you know it's an amp you can ship just the amp in for repair, which will be less time and money than driving. This also lets you check to see if there's a flimsy connection to one of the drivers either where the speaker connects to the amp or the leads from the woofer terminal to the speaker itself.

3 - If it doesn't follow the amp then you know it's a speaker issue. You can then ship the speaker, get it reconed, by a new one, etc. 

FWIW, I had a compression driver go on my NX550P and replaced the diaphragm myself. That would be the "best" problem to have.

• Members

It would be more easy just to swap the speakers from them instead the amps, if you managed to take the speaker from the good ones to be installed in the faulty one and if it's sounds good enough like the other working the problem is on the speaker then

• Members

JV90 wrote:

It would be more easy just to swap the speakers from them instead the amps, if you managed to take the speaker from the good ones to be installed in the faulty one and if it's sounds good enough like the other working the problem is on the speaker then

You'll get a better view of the inside of the box if you take the amp out though and be able to test both the compression driver and woofer at the same time versus taking out both of each and swapping them (2 parts instead of 4). It's not hard at all and probably the same number of screws as removing the woofer and grill.

• Members

First of all you should completely swap out signal paths, don't just link through. Try and recreate the bad sound through the "good" speaker. Also cycle your jacks in case it's that. Along those lines try a different source, like a mic, and also try different input jacks. Also cycle any buttons on the cab - line/mic, 100hz cut.... And of course try the cab with and without the cut.

DON'T open the cab up until you talk to the store and find out if that will void your warranty. And find out what your warranty covers. IIRC the used warranty coverage is different than the new - but I certainly could be wrong.

I've seen a few NX55P's with blown woofers and intermittent tweeters, but it's hard to say without being there.

• Members

I would not swap speakers and amp modules with out checking things first.  If the amp module on one is bad and putting out X amount of DC you could fry the other "good" speaker. Sounds like a rubbing voice coil to me. Take out the woofer on the bad speaker and gently push in and out and see if you hear a rubbing / scraping noise. If so it could be bad. If the woofer is bad then check the amp for DC output on the speaker leads. If the module seems to be ok hook up up old woofer first if you have one and see if it sounds more or less ok with that connected.

Last swap the good woofer to the bad cabinet to see if it sounds ok.

Dookietwo

• Members

Dookietwo wrote:

Take out the woofer on the bad speaker and gently push in and out and see if you hear a rubbing / scraping noise.

You don't usually have to remove it - just take the speaker grill off. If you've never done the push test thing before try it on the good one first so you know what it feels/sounds like. Oh, and use two hands so you can push it evenly (and no more than 1/4 inch!).

• Members

Well, I was in Toronto today and the big L&M sale was on, so I stopped by the Bloor St. location. I'd been looking for another monitor for myself to replace the combo amps I'd been using, and had been considering an Alto TS110A. I bought another NX55P instead, and have long-term plans to buy more of them. Now I at least have one spare so a problem like this won't ruin the show.

I also checked with the staff, if I crack open my problematic speaker to check all the connections I will not void my L&M warranty.

Then I had a near-accident on the DVP, blew a brake line, and completely drained my bank account trying to get back home. What a day.

DookieTwo, thanks for the pics. I need to crack into this NX55P this weekend, I'm curious how they will compare internally.

Wes

Archived